- Job Class: Support Staff
- Job ID Number: IS-34-13
- Department: School of Professional Studies
- Location: SPS: School of Professional Studies
- Closing Date: Open Until Filled
UP TO 6 MONTHS
The School of Professional Studies:
In 2003, the Board of Trustees of the City University of New York created the CUNY School of Professional Studies (SPS) with the purpose of meeting the educational needs of working adults, organizations, and employers. Since then, SPS has developed into a well-established school serving New York City’s dynamic marketplace through the provision of timely, innovative, and academically rigorous programs of study designed to address new or unmet needs. Home to CUNY’s first fully online undergraduate degrees and groundbreaking master’s degree programs, SPS has found new ways of fulfilling CUNY’s mission of access, reaching students with new modes of instruction, new courses and curricula, and new kinds of learning tailored for diverse requirements and constituencies. It has launched a dozen degrees – six bachelor’s and six master’s degrees – since 2006, and there are more currently in development. Enrollments have grown to over 2000 students in the credit-bearing programs, and the School has seen more growth in its non-credit offerings, with a portfolio of grant-funded programs currently accounting for more than $6 million. In addition, the School now maintains an active Alumni Association, has established the SPS Foundation, and will soon occupy its own dedicated space
SPS is seeking a highly motivated, self-starter to operate its Front Desk (morning and afternoon shifts currently available).
Duties and Responsibilities:
Reporting to the Director of Campus Operations, the College Assistant/Receptionist will:
- Provide front desk/reception support by routing telephone and in-person inquiries to appropriate administration and staff.
- Answer phone lines and retrieve voicemail messages.
- Greet and assist all visitors to the CUNY School of Professional Studies.
- Maintain professional appearance of the reception area and lobby.
- Maintain office supply inventory.
- Assist with the delivery of mail to faculty and staff mailboxes, posting and removing notices from bulletin boards and updating mailboxes.
- Assist with AV, catering, and facilities requests.
- Assist Campus Operations department with various administrative and clerical tasks, e.g., typing documents, conducting research, assisting with scanning, mailing, data entry, filing, and other duties as required.
-High School Diploma or equivalent.
- At least one-year of front-desk/administrative experience in a higher education setting strongly preferred.
- Ability to manage phone and in-person inquiries in a professional, patient, and friendly manner.
- Some experience with providing administrative and clerical support preferred.
- Excellent customer service skills preferred.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills preferred as well as the ability to work collaboratively.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Word and Excel preferred.
-Strong organizational and time management skills including the ability to handle multiple tasks, prioritize, and work independently.
-Ability to identify and solve problems in a fast paced environment.
$12.00 - $15.00 per hour
20 hours per week (morning and afternoon shifts currently available)
How To Apply
Please send Resume, Cover Letter, and the names of 3 Professional References to:
SPS College Assistant/Receptionist Search
c/o Walida Najeeullah
Director of Campus Operations
CUNY School of Professional Studies
119 W. 31st Street, 10th Floor
New York, NY 10001
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/IRCA/Americans with Disabilities Act Employer.
The Graduate Center complies with the Clery Act and copies of its annual report on security policies and statistics are available in its Security Office.
Selected applicants must pay fingerprint and filing fees (full-time CUNY students are excluded from fingerprint fee)
- All prospective candidates must be able to be certified as eligible to work under the provisions of the Immigration Reform and Control Act.
- The Graduate School and University Center verifies education and experience statements.