Assistant to Director (Administrative Executive Coordinator)
- Job Class: Managerial/Professional
- Job ID Number: 9945
- Department: Center for Place, Culture and Politics
- Location: The Graduate Center
- Closing Date: FEB 22, 2014
CAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATION
The Center for Place, Culture and Politics is an interdisciplinary Center providing an exciting intellectual forum for the discussion of a wide range of vital contemporary issues. The Center's name and focus express the fact that at the beginning of the twenty first century, questions of space and place have come to play a crucial role in the public culture. Each academic year, the Center adopts a specific theme related to place, culture and politics. The Center brings together a core group of faculty and student fellows and hosts internationally distinguished scholars who have done significant work related to the theme. Together, fellows and guests explore the year's theme through weekly seminars, public lectures by distinguished visitors, and conferences. The Center also receives research grants, most recently an $890,000 grant from the Ford Foundation on Area Studies; organizes research agendas among fellows; and sponsors a book series
The Assistant to Director coordinates the day-to-day administration of Center events and activities. S/he reports directly to the Center Director and works with the Associate Director and Center's fellows.
- Assisting with the Center and grants budget management.
- Assisting Director with research including quantitative and qualitative data searches, data analysis, literature searches, and manuscript editing.
- Assisting in resolution of administrative matters for the Center.
- Responding to internal/external inquiries.
- Assisting in screening of candidates for subordinate positions; may supervise support staff.
- Screening guests, phone calls, and correspondence (paper and electronic).
- Preparing Center fellow application forms, processing applications, and organizing selection process.
- Arranging and assisting with Center Board of Advisor meetings.
- Maintaining personnel records for Center employees and fellows.
- Liaising with all relevant GC departments including the Provost's Office, Business Office, Human Resources, and the Offices of Public Affairs, Continuing Education, and Research and Sponsored Programs.
- Collecting and maintaining statistical data and archive material of Center activities.
- Maintaining and updating content on Center website.
- Assisting with preparation of articles for Center's newsletter.
- Preparing drafts of annual Center reports and organizing data and information for grant reports.
- Organizing distinguished speakers' lectures and conferences, liaising with speakers, and
processing expenses for these events.
- Coordinating travel and conference arrangements for Center personnel, conference participants, guests, and visitors.
- Assisting Director and Associate Director with special projects and events.
Provides administrative support to a Campus or University Executive.
- Coordinates office operations such as meetings, communications, events, and reports.
- Maintains extensive files and records for the unit.
- Maintains accurate calendars, schedules, and key dates.
- Collects data for, prepares, and distributes reports and presentations using appropriate technology. Runs basic system queries and reports to provide data.
- Updates office databases, lists, and files to ensure completeness and accuracy; maintains current information on department web site(s), manuals, and other materials.
- Provides clear communications on the Executive's behalf both within and outside the unit.
- May perform related duties as assigned; may participate in special projects and efforts to improve unit effectiveness.
Bachelor's Degree required.
- Two (2) years of higher education experience
- Experience preparing grant applications and administering funding
- Work experience involving fundraising
- Experience maintaining budgets and coordinating large events
- Experience training staff and liaising with administration
Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience.
How To Apply
Please apply by using the link below:
***If you are unable to upload your application please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Make sure to indicate which position you are applying for and that you have submitted your application online.***
An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/IRCA/Americans with Disabilities Act Employer.
The Graduate Center complies with the Clery Act and copies of its annual report on security policies and statistics are available in its Security Office.