Academic Skills Specialist (Academic Student Support Program Specialist) - Joseph S. Murphy
- Job Class: Managerial/Professional
- Job ID Number: 9647
- Department: School of Professional Studies
- Location: SPS: School of Professional Studies
- Closing Date: MAY 5, 2014
Campus Specific Information
Since its inception in 2003, the School of Professional Studies of the City University of New York (CUNY SPS) has launched fourteen degrees - eight bachelor's degrees open to students with 24 or more college credits who wish to complete their undergraduate studies and six master's degrees - and more programs are currently in development. CUNY SPS leads the University in developing and operating online degree programs, and trains faculty throughout CUNY in online instruction. CUNY SPS is also the home of the Joseph S. Murphy Institute for Worker Education and Labor Studies, which offers higher education programs for working adults and union members, and serves as a nationally-recognized center for scholarship and resources for labor, academic, and community leaders seeking a deeper understanding of labor and urban issues.
The Joseph S. Murphy Institute for Worker Education and Labor Studies is a collaboration between the University and New York City labor unions, for the purpose of serving the educational, policy, and research needs of unions and their members. The mission of the Institute is to: 1) offer undergraduate and graduate programs to labor and urban studies; 2) expand working adult student access to colleges throughout the CUNY system; 3) partner with labor unions and employers to address training and education needs of union members; and 4) serve the labor and broader community by conducting research, offering leadership development programs, hosting forums and national conferences, and publishing articles, books, and a national labor journal to promote debate on issues critical to labor's future and its policy role.
Reporting to the Manager of Academic Support and Retention, the Academic Skills Specialist will:
- Support students toward successful completion of their studies.
- Develop and implement programs for students to strengthen their academic skills.
- Provide writing coaching to students in pre-college program.
- Provide tutoring in writing to students enrolled in Institute programs.
- Oversee part-time tutors in reading and math.
- Offer workshops, recommend on-line tools, and implement other programs to assist students and faculty.
- May supervise staff.
Provides educational development activities supporting a targeted academic program.
- Assists in developing and preparing program offerings, curricula, guidelines, and related communications
- Promotes program and advises students and College stakeholders on services, policies, and procedures
- Advises faculty, counselors, tutors, administrators and others on program goals, activities, and best practices
- Provides student services such as workshops, seminars, and advising sessions
- Coordinates efforts of faculty, staff, and other service providers to monitor and assess utilization, student progress, and program effectiveness
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Bachelor's degree and four years' related experience required.
- Demonstrated ability to help students move from pre-college program to degree programs
- Demonstrated ability to track and assess student success
- Experience with student transition and/or retention programs
- Experience tutoring writing to underprepared students
- Experience in individual and small group instruction
- Experience working with students with language barriers
- Knowledge of available skills development resources
- Knowledge of assessment and testing
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Competence in a range of computer applications (e.g. internet research, MS Office, social media and student registration systems)
Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
How To Apply
Please apply using the link below:
***If you are unable to upload your application please email@example.com. Make sure to indicate which position you are applying for and that you have submitted your application online.***
** Search extended **
An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/IRCA/Americans with Disabilities Act Employer.
The Graduate Center complies with the Clery Act and copies of its annual report on security policies and statistics are available in its Security Office.