Enrollment Specialist - Urban Studies (Joseph S. Murphy Institute)
- Job Class: Managerial/Professional
- Job ID Number: 9655
- Department: School of Professional Studies
- Location: SPS/JSM: School of Professional Studies/Joseph S. Murphy Institute
- Closing Date: MAY 5, 2014
Campus Specific Information
Since its inception in 2003, the School of Professional Studies of the City University of New York (CUNY SPS) has launched fourteen degrees - eight bachelor's degrees open to students with 24 or more college credits who wish to complete their undergraduate studies, and six master's degrees - and more programs are currently in development. CUNY SPS leads the University in developing and operating online degree programs, and trains faculty throughout CUNY in online instruction. CUNY SPS is also the home of the Joseph S. Murphy Institute for Worker Education and Labor Studies, which offers higher education programs for working adults and union members, and serves as a nationally-recognized center for scholarship and resources for labor, academic, and community leaders seeking a deeper understanding of labor and urban issues.
The Joseph S. Murphy Institute for Worker Education and Labor Studies is a collaboration between the University and New York City labor unions, for the purpose of serving the educational, policy, and research needs of unions and their members. The mission of the Institute is to: 1) offer undergraduate and graduate programs to labor and urban studies; 2) expand working adult student access to colleges throughout the CUNY system; 3) partner with labor unions and employers to address training and education needs of union members; and 4) serve the labor and broader community by conducting research, offering leadership development programs, hosting forums and national conferences, and publishing articles, books, and a national labor journal to promote debate on issues critical to labor's future and its policy role.
Reporting to the Urban Studies Program Manager, the Enrollment Specialist/Urban Studies will:
- Work with the Institute's Urban Studies team to expand enrollment in all Urban Studies certificate and degree programs.
- Report on Urban Studies enrollment management issues to the Institute-wide enrollment management team and assist in the planning and implementation of Institute-wide outreach and recruitment activities.
- Field new inquiries, provide information to prospective students, and direct them to appropriate counseling resources at the Institute.
- Maintain a thorough knowledge of entrance requirements, curriculum, and transfer policies and practices.
- Develop and maintain long-term relations with community organizations, public employers, and other organizations.
- Assist with information and orientation sessions.
- Attend college fairs and distribute marketing material to potential student populations.
- May supervise staff.
Administers enrollment processes and related functions.
- Collaborates with management team in the development of admission and enrollment goals, strategies, and initiatives; participates in planning enrollment events.
- Analyzes and interprets quantitative and qualitative student enrollment data to prepare reports for management.
- Recommends and implements improvements to existing technical systems and office operations.
- Serves as resource reference to interpret and comply with University and College enrollment policies.
- Prepares and reviews student communication materials.
- May coordinate aspects of student entry from point of allocation to include orientation, advisement, and collection of admitted student documents.
- May supervise office operations and/or department budget
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Bachelor's Degree and four years' related experience required.
- Advanced degree preferred
- At least two years of academic counseling and/or advisement experience highly desirable
- Experience with student recruitment strategies highly desirable
- Experience recruiting adult learners as well as traditional college-age students preferred
- Experience with successful social media strategies
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Competence in a range of computer applications (e.g. internet research, MS Office, social media and student registration systems) preferred
- Self-motivated with an entrepreneurial spirit
Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
How To Apply
Please apply using the link below:
***If you are unable to upload your application please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Make sure to indicate which position you are applying for and that you have submitted your application online.***
** Search extended **
An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/IRCA/Americans with Disabilities Act Employer.
The Graduate Center complies with the Clery Act and copies of its annual report on security policies and statistics are available in its Security Office.