Desktop Support Manager (Computer Systems Manager, Level 2 - Provisional)
- Job Class: Managerial/Professional
- Job ID Number: 10688
- Department: Office of Information Technology
- Location: The Graduate Center
- Closing Date: JUN 18, 2014
Campus Specific Information
Reporting directly to the IT Services Manager, the Desktop Support Manager is a technical hands-on leader for delivering desktop support by driving operational excellence. This position is responsible for delivering desktop support by managing, evaluating, and developing the technical Support Desk staff and desktop support specialists. This position interfaces with IT managers and technical staff and participates in resolving escalations and coordinating the communication of service status related to his/her area of responsibility.
- Plan, design, lead, and coordinate desktop support related activities and provide administrative direction and leadership for daily operational undertakings.
- Serve as a member of ITMT+ and participate in annual budget-building deliberations.
- Provide leadership, direction, and supervision and day-to-day operational and technical support to members of the desktop and helpdesk support teams; mentor, coach, and lead staff; create work assignments; establish priorities; monitor, review, and supervise completion of assignments on time; conduct performance evaluations and initiate corrective actions; train staff on new systems; and develop professional growth opportunities.
- Oversee scheduling, prioritization, and timely completion of service calls, work orders, and projects and coordinate and escalate support issues with other IT units.
- Train, manage, and administer a staff of Mac, Windows, and Linux technical professionals providing service and support to GC faculty, staff and students.
- Develop and establish phone/ticket escalation processes to ensure free flowing escalation and information within the organization; determine root cause of issues and communicate appropriately to internal and external customers.
- Coordinate all installations and fixes for desktop computers, printers, telephones, software, peripherals, etc. for public spaces and student, academic and administrative systems.
- Diagnose and resolve problems for a variety of hardware and software-related issues.
- Provide data and reporting of Key Performance Indicators and trends to IT department and others in ad-hoc, weekly, monthly meetings and as needed; drive BMC Track-It! System and develop strategies for improvement; monitor and manage phone queue as well as the CUNYfirst CRM ticketing system.
- Manage and administer the Help Desk N-Focus Automatic Call Distribution system and provide weekly status reports and metrics for decision-making.
- Oversee Knowledge Base and ensure top quality solutions are available to staff. Develop Service and Business Level Agreements to set expectations and measure performance. Develop an effective and workable framework for managing and improving customer IT support in the organization.
- Assist managers, directors, department heads, administrators, faculty, students, and other users to resolve customer service issues in a timely and effective way, and follow up as needed.
- Meet with departments to analyze functional needs and recommend and deploy hardware, applications, and other software to meet clients' needs.
- Provide expert guidance and consultation to members of the team on available solutions to automate work, including systems deployment, software distribution, and security management.
- Advise on new computer purchases and collaborate with IT Administrative Services and vendors in the acquisition of computer products for public student spaces and faculty/staff.
- Maintain centralized policy and procedures documentation and process flows for the function and controls, monitor and facilitate documentation of new of changes to policies and procedures.
- Engage in ongoing professional development activities
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
I.T. Computer Systems Managers manage and direct an Information Technology area at a College or University level. They set policies and procedures, direct technical staff, and maintain responsibility for administrative as well as technical issues within their assigned area(s) of responsibility. They may manage major and/or large, complex information systems activities and/or manage a unit or group.
This job is in CUNY's Classified Managerial Service. The full specification is available on our web site at http://www.cuny.edu/about/administration/offices/ohrm/hros/classification/ccsjobs.html
1. Six (6) years of progressively responsible full-time paid information systems technology experience, at least 18 months of which shall have been in an administrative or managerial capacity in the areas of computer applications programming, systems programming, information systems development, data telecommunications, data base administration or a closely related area.
2. Education at an accredited College or University may be substituted for the general information systems technology experience at the rate of one year of college for 6 months of experience up to a maximum of 4 years of college for 2 years of experience. In addition a Master's degree in computer science or a closely related field from an accredited college or university may be substituted for an additional year of the general information systems technology experience. However, all candidates must possess the 18 months of administrative or managerial experience described above.
This title has multiple levels. In addition to the minimum qualifications above, additional qualifications, such as education, experience, or certification relevant to the area of specialization are required.
Preferred qualifications include:
- 5 years managerial and leadership experience
- Extensive knowledge of enterprise class desktop software such as Windows 7, Mac OS X, Linux Red Hat, antivirus, remote management and troubleshooting, asset management and inventory, printing and call centers
- Technical computer skills as well as good interpersonal, management, and customer service skills
- Knowledge of ITIL concepts including Service Management and Service Delivery and experience working within the ITIL Framework for Incident, Problem, Change, or Service Request Management; ITIL Foundation Certificate
- Experience with Windows active directory, LDAP, and group policies
- Highly developed analytical skills and the ability to solve complex technical problems using a methodical systematic approach
- Experience with enterprise deployment systems (Symantec Ghost, Altiris, Casper) and enterprise monitoring and reporting systems
- Experience with Active Directory, MS System Center, or other systems management platforms
- Knowledge of TCP/IP protocol, routing concepts, and troubleshooting
- Experience with iOS, Android, and Windows Phone support, and mobile device management solutions
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret technical journals
- Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills and a strong customer
$74,960 - $85,000
How To Apply
Please apply using the link below:
Visit www.cuny.edu, access the employment page, log in or create a new user account, and search for this vacancy using the Job ID or Title. Select "Apply Now" and provide the requested information.
Candidates must attach a resume, cover letter, and three professional references (name, title, organization, and contact information).
An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/IRCA/Americans with Disabilities Act Employer.
The Graduate Center complies with the Clery Act and copies of its annual report on security policies and statistics are available in its Security Office.