Administrative Superintendent of Building and Grounds, Level 1 (Provisional) - Evening / Weekend Shift
- Job Class: Managerial/Professional
- Job ID Number: 10921
- Department: School of Professional Studies
- Location: SPS: School of Professional Studies
- Closing Date: SEP 14, 2014
Campus Specific Information
The School of Professional Studies of the City University of New York (CUNY SPS) has launched fifteen degrees: nine bachelor's degrees open to students with 24 or more college credits who wish to complete their undergraduate studies, and six master's degrees, with more programs currently in development. CUNY SPS leads the University in developing and operating online degree programs, and trains faculty throughout CUNY in online instruction. CUNY SPS is also the home of the Joseph S. Murphy Institute for Worker Education and Labor Studies, which offers higher education programs for working adults and union members, and serves as a nationally-recognized center for scholarship and resources for labor, academic, and community leaders seeking a deeper understanding of labor and urban issues.
CUNY SPS now occupies its own building, and is seeking an Administrative Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds reporting to the Director of Campus Operations and responsible for evening and weekend hours of campus operations.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Overseeing the delivery of maintenance and repair services.
- Ensuring client satisfaction with delivery of Facility Management services and providing a lead role in monitoring and increasing customer satisfaction.
- Assuring building repairs are completed and updating the Director on maintenance services.
- Managing building work/service ticket requests including customer follow-up.
- Coordinating Facilities Help Desk requests.
- Conducting walk-throughs and inspections of Campus facility to identify facility needs.
- Preparing ad-hoc and scheduled reports and maintaining comprehensive logs and records.
- Ensuring timely response to emergency conditions and assisting in developing and executing contingency operations plans.
- Providing back-up support to the Director of Campus Operations as needed.
- Supporting the Director of Campus Operations in the implementation and execution of short- and long-term projects.
- Serving as point of contact for the Campus Operations department for evenings and weekends.
- Will supervise support and custodial staff as the department and school grows.
- Performing related special projects as needed.
Evening and weekend hours required: Weekdays, 2pm-9pm; Saturday, 8am-4pm or 9am-5pm. Must be able to adjust to scheduling changes.
Under general direction, with the widest latitude for the use of independent judgment and initiative, serves as a principal assistant to a higher level Administrative Superintendent, a Chief Administrative Superintendent, or other College executive in one or more areas, such as the cleaning, operation, maintenance, repair and improvements to the physical plant and grounds of a community or senior college. Assists a higher level administrator in the assignment and supervision of staff to ensure the safe and effective operation and maintenance of the plant, mechanical equipment and grounds. Directs buildings and grounds staff in all repair and service requests and makes inspections to determine the need for actual and preventive maintenance. Plans and directs the rehabilitation, improvement, and repair work involving alterations to buildings and grounds, such as painting, electrical work, heating, ventilating, and air conditioning plant repairs, plumbing, masonry work, carpentry, gardening, and horticulture work; or prepares bid specification for the performance of such work by contractors.
1. A Baccalaureate degree in related field of study from an accredited college and four years of related experience of which two years must be progressive full-time managerial/administrative experience in the management and/or operation and maintenance of buildings and grounds such as large hotels, educational complexes, large office buildings, or large building complexes large gardens or parks; OR
2. A valid New York State Registration as an Architect and 3 years of related experience of which one year must be full-time managerial/administrative experience as described in 1 above; OR
3. A valid New York State Professional Engineer's license and 3 years of related experience of which one year must be full-time managerial/administrative experience as described in 1 above; OR
4. A valid New York City High Pressure Boiler Operating Engineer's license, a four year high school diploma or its equivalent, and six years of related experience of which four years must be progressive full-time managerial/administrative experience as described in 1 above; OR
5. A four year high school diploma or its equivalent and eight years of related experience of which four years must be progressive full-time managerial/administrative experience as described in 1 above; OR
6. A combination of education and/or experience equivalent to 1,2,3,4 and 5 above. In addition an advanced degree in a managerial field from an accredited college may be substituted for an additional year of managerial/administrative experience. However, all candidates must possess a high school diploma or its equivalent, and three years of related experience of which one year must be managerial / administrative as described in 1 above.
- Excellent customer-service orientation
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, particularly Word and Excel; experience with other complex facility-related computer software systems preferred
- Proven experience managing a maintenance program including planning maintenance activities and developing preventive maintenance programs
- Experience managing staff and ability to work in a collaborative team
- Demonstrated excellent analytical skills
Commensurate with qualifications and experience
How To Apply
Please apply using the link below:
***If you are unable to upload your application please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Make sure to indicate which position you are applying for and that you have submitted your application online.***
An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/IRCA/Americans with Disabilities Act Employer.
The Graduate Center complies with the Clery Act and copies of its annual report on security policies and statistics are available in its Security Office.