Process and Procedures
This section is currently being revised. Contact Edith Rivera at extension 7410 if you have any questions. If you are about to begin a search, please review the recruitment checklist below.
The following checklist shows the routine steps to be taken and the documentation to be completed in conjunction with a search:
1. Obtain approval to create a new position or fill an existing vacancy (includes substitute positions) from the appropriate administrator.
2. Contact the Director of Human Resources to review CUNYFirst job descriptions/templates.
3. Complete Recruitment Request Form and attach position description, two organizational charts for administrative positions (i.e.; current and proposed); and advertising text to the Director of Human Resources for approval.
4. Prepare Purchase Requisition
5. Arrange an appointment with the Chief Diversity Officer to discuss areas of underutilization, outreach efforts, the search committee process and obtain required search documentation.
6. Once the position is posted and applications are being received, mail applicants Acknowledgment Letter and Affirmative Action Data Card. Administrative positions are typically posted for 30 days and faculty positions are posted for 60 days; it is important to send acknowledgment letters and the affirmative action data card on a weekly basis to prevent applicants from calling the recruiting department or program, to assess their application status.
7. Once the posting period has officially ended and interviewees have been selected, complete the Affirmative Action Certification Form (page 1 only) and attach finalists' resumes and evaluation criteria by which applicants were pre-screened, to the Office of Compliance and Diversity for applicant pool certification. It is advised that a primary and secondary list of interviewees be considered by the search committee.
8. Consult Provost Office for preparing materials for the Academic Review Committee (Note: Authorization from the Provost is required for a preliminary offer of appointment as stated in the Executive Officers Handbook, Section: Academic Personnel Matters). (Note: Faculty positions are advertised for two (2) months in accordance with the "University Statement of Academic Personnel Practice". Therefore, it is strongly recommended that careful planning of advertising deadlines concurrently with position closing dates be reviewed carefully when planning your search).
9. Send out rejection letters to all applicants not considered for the interview stage. Contact the Chief Diversity Officer for sample correspondence.
10. Conduct finalist interviews.
11. Conclude Search: Complete the second page of the Affirmative Action Certification form and submit to the Chief Diversity Officer for final approval; contact Human Resources/concerning the job offer; send finalists rejection letters. Submit all search correspondence to the Office of Affirmative Action for document retention (i.e.: 3 years) as required by University guidelines.
Recruitment Forms and Correspondence
Recruitment Request Form [PDF]
These forms are also available in Excel format. Please contact the Office of Compliance and Diversity extension 7410 for more information.
Affirmative Action Certification Form (General) [PDF]
Provisional Affirmative Action Certification Form [PDF]
Interview Evaluation Form [PDF]
Search File Checklist [PDF]
Sample Organizational Charts:
Sample Current Organizational Chart [PDF]
Sample Proposed Organizational Chart [PDF]
Sample Evaluation Rubric:
Sample Administrative Prescreening Evaluation Rubric [PDF]
Sample Faculty Prescreening Evaluation Rubric (coming soon)
For Sample Search Correspondence, please contact the Chief Diversity Officer