Cataloging & Metadata Librarian (Instructor or Assistant Professor)
- Job Class: Faculty (Library Open Rank)
- Job ID Number: 7318
- Department: Mina Rees Library
- Location: The Graduate Center
- Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Faculty Vacancy Announcement
In collaboration with library staff under the direction of the Associate Librarian for Collection Management performs full cataloging for several types of print and electronic materials.
- Performs cataloging for materials in all subjects and formats using current standards (AACR2, MARC).
- Manages batch uploading and updating of MARC records in the catalog.
- Performs catalog maintenance to ensure accuracy of Graduate Center records.
- Trains and supervises at least 1 FTE support staff and students in copy cataloging and catalog maintenance.
- Manages collection, maintenance, and distribution of library cataloging statistics.
- Evaluates and develops cataloging policies and procedures.
- Consults with library colleagues to resolve problems of bibliographic access.
- Participates in digital project planning and implementation including the development of taxonomies, metadata application, and best practices for construction and maintenance of an institutional repository.
- Represents the Graduate Center in CUNY, campus, and other regional working groups.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Staffs the library Reference Desk; performs virtual reference service.
- Serves as reference and instruction librarian for assigned departments; provides classroom and workshop instruction in person and online.
- Consults with faculty and students about taxonomies, software, and metadata applications for individual projects and tool-building.
- Maintains professional currency in cataloging and metadata standards.
- Produces scholarly research and provides academic service in accordance with the library's tenure and promotion criteria.
- MLS degree from an accredited institution; second Master's degree in any discipline required for appointment at the Assistant Professor level
- 2+ years cataloging experience in an academic environment
- Expert knowledge of MARC format and cataloging rules including AACR2, LCSH, LCCN
- Familiarity with RDA, FRBR
- Experience with an integrated library system
- Familiarity with current metadata schema including XML-based standards (Dublin Core, MODS, VRA Core, METS, PREMIS, TEI, EAD)
- Familiarity with archival description and practices
- Demonstrated knowledge of emerging trends in library systems and services
- Strong communication, problem-solving, and project management skills
- Familiarity with OCLC Connexion, Cataloger's Desktop and Classification Web
- Familiarity with ExLibris Aleph 500
- Experience with MarcEdit
- Working knowledge of Spanish or French
Commensurate with qualifications and experience
How To Apply
Send resume, cover letter, and the names of and contact information for three professional references to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Position open until filled. Review of applications begins January 31, 2013.
An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/IRCA/Americans with Disabilities Act Employer.
The Graduate Center complies with the Clery Act and copies of its annual report on security policies and statistics are available in its Security Office.