Enrollment Bursar Specialist - School of Professional Studies
- Job Class: Managerial and Professional
- Job ID Number: 7443
- Department: School of Professional Studies
- Location: SPS: School of Professional Studies
- Closing Date: APR 11, 2013
Campus Specific Information
In 2003, the Board of Trustees of the City University of New York created the CUNY School of
Professional Studies (SPS) with the purpose of meeting the educational needs of working adults, organizations, and employers. Since then, SPS has developed into a well-established school serving New York City's dynamic marketplace through the provision of timely, innovative, and academically rigorous programs of study designed to address new or unmet needs. Home to CUNY's first fully online undergraduate degrees and groundbreaking master's degree programs, SPS has found new ways of fulfilling CUNY's mission of access, reaching students with new modes of instruction, new courses and curricula, and new kinds of learning tailored for diverse requirements and constituencies. It has launched a dozen degrees - six bachelor's and six master's degrees - since 2006, and there are more currently in development.
The City University of New York's School of Professional Studies (SPS) seeks an Enrollment Bursar Specialist to assist in the Bursar's Office daily operations. Reporting to the Enrollment Bursar Manager, the Enrollment Bursar Specialist will be responsible for:
- Assisting with all aspects of student accounts receivable for SPS students. Assisting students with inquiries regarding their accounts, verification of payments, status of refunds, and the resolution of any disputes.
- Maintaining all activities related to SPS accounting systems for student accounts and other financial functions as assigned.
- Collaborating with the Enrollment Bursar Manager on the planning and coordination of the billing schedules batch job processing for each term. Integrating these bursar schedules within the School's operational calendar.
- Interfacing with the functions of Financial Aid, Registrar and Student Services in implementing SPS policies and procedures.
- Providing staff with student account information necessary to respond to inquiries regarding payments, refunds, and disbursements.
- Collaborating with the Enrollment Bursar Manager on enhancement and implementation of internal control over cash.
- Maintaining revenue files and assisting in collection efforts.
- Distributing and reconciling cash accounts for refunds and overpayments.
- Assisting in the review of student accounts and the collection of funds. Identifying delinquent accounts and managing the placement of those accounts with collection agencies.
- Assisting in the management and disbursement of financial aid awards, including activities related to financial aid application to accounts and refund check disbursement. Independently preparing written correspondence to authorized personnel in response to inquiries and for reporting purposes.
- Providing guidance to students about the payment options and online payment systems, including the Tuition Payment Plan and the Electronic Data Systems program.
- Preparing weekly, monthly and ad hoc reports on deposits for review by the Director of Fiscal and Business Operations.
-Administers a College student accounts function under management direction.
- Administers processing, collection, reconciliation and maintenance of student receivables including cashier activities; supervises and approves refund process
- Reviews student accounts; manages delinquent accounts in collaboration with collection agency
- Advises students on tuition payment options and resolution process
- Recommends and implements improvements to office operations; assists with strategic planning
- Serves as resource reference to interpret and comply with University and College policies
- Prepares analytical and statistical reports for management
- May supervise office operations and/or department budget
- Performs related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree and four years' related experience are required.
- Four years' related experience, preferably in finance or accounting
- At least two years of related experience in a public institution of higher education preferred
- Working knowledge of QuickBooks software, CUNYFirst bursar functions, and SIMS preferred
- Demonstrated organizational skills; detail oriented
- Exceptional written communication skills
- Exceptional customer service skills - friendly and helpful phone etiquette, quickly respond to requests.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced complex work
environment, carry out complex assignment and adapt to changing situations and priorities.
- Manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Competency in MS Office programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and ability to learn new technologies
- May supervise support staff
Commensurate with qualifications and experience
How To Apply
An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/IRCA/Americans with Disabilities Act Employer.
The Graduate Center complies with the Clery Act and copies of its annual report on security policies and statistics are available in its Security Office.