Special Projects Assistant (Administrative Specialist) - Joseph S. Murphy Institute
- Job Class: Managerial/Professional
- Job ID Number: 9643
- Department: School of Professional Studies
- Location: SPS/JSM: School of Professional Studies/Joseph S. Murphy Institute
- Closing Date: MAY 5, 2014
Campus Specific Information
Since its inception in 2003, the School of Professional Studies of the City University of New York (CUNY SPS) has launched fourteen degrees - eight bachelor's degrees open to students with 24 or more college credits who wish to complete their undergraduate studies, and six master's degrees - and more programs are currently in development. CUNY SPS leads the University in developing and operating online degree programs, and trains faculty throughout CUNY in online instruction. CUNY SPS is also the home of the Joseph S. Murphy Institute for Worker Education and Labor Studies, which offers higher education programs for working adults and union members, and serves as a nationally-recognized center for scholarship and resources for labor, academic, and community leaders seeking a deeper understanding of labor and urban issues.
The Joseph S. Murphy Institute for Worker Education and Labor Studies is a collaboration between the University and New York City labor unions, for the purpose of serving the educational, policy, and research needs of unions and their members. The mission of the Institute is to: 1) offer undergraduate and graduate programs to labor and urban studies; 2) expand working adult student access to colleges throughout the CUNY system; 3) partner with labor unions and employers to address training and education needs of union members; and 4) serve the labor and broader community by conducting research, offering leadership development programs, hosting forums and national conferences, and publishing articles, books, and a national labor journal to promote debate on issues critical to labor's future and its policy role.
Reporting to the Director of The Murphy Institute, the Special Projects Assistant will:
- Undertake and support special assignments and activities of a basic-to-complex nature on behalf of the Institute's Director and Associate Directors.
- Draft, edit, and proof-read correspondence.
- Assist in the gathering, preparation, and dissemination of information; conduct internet and database research and perform systems queries.
- Prepare documents, reports, and presentations for the Institute's Advisory Board and other internal and external organizations.
- Coordinate legislative requests; ensures compliance with - and prepare reports for - government agencies.
- Assist with preparation of grant proposals and reporting documents.
- Assist with development and implementation of new administrative systems to improve internal functioning.
Provides administrative and program support to an administrative or academic department.
- Oversees department operations and assists management in planning department activities, creating schedules, assigning staff and preparing and delivering department communications.
- Works with appropriate offices related to personnel recruitment, expediting search activities
- Research coordinates and organizes materials for key events such as promotion and tenure reviews.
- Supervises and trains support staff and student workers.
- Manages budget and coordinates purchasing, accounting, and payroll.
- Provides instructions and basic advice to students, faculty, and others seeking information on department activities, policies, and schedules.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Bachelor's Degree and four years' relevant experience required.
- At least two years of experience in higher education administration, policies, and practices preferred (as part of the required four years' relevant experience)
- Familiarity with labor unions and community organizations preferred
- Proven proficiency in use of Microsoft Office Suite for supporting office operations, such as word processing, creation of spreadsheets, presentations, publications, mailings, and web research
- Some experience with program development and grant writing preferred
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Ability to organize and prioritize effectively
- Ability to handle multiple tasks; complete tasks and meet deadlines; and follow-up as needed
- Ability to use independent judgment
- Excellent organizational abilities, attention to detail, and follow-through
Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
How To Apply
Please apply using the link below:
***If you are unable to upload your application please email email@example.com. Make sure to indicate which position you are applying for and that you have submitted your application online.***
** Search extended **
An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/IRCA/Americans with Disabilities Act Employer.
The Graduate Center complies with the Clery Act and copies of its annual report on security policies and statistics are available in its Security Office.