Academic Internship Specialist - New York Union Semester (Joseph S. Murphy Institute for Worker Education & Labor Studies)
- Job Class: Managerial and Professional
- Job ID Number: 8939
- Department: Joseph S. Murphy Institute
- Location: SPS/JSM: School of Professional Studies/Joseph S. Murphy Institute
- Closing Date: OCT 9, 2013
Campus Specific Information
In 2003, the Board of Trustees of the City University of New York created the CUNY School of Professional Studies (SPS) with the purpose of meeting the educational needs of working adults, organizations, and employers. Since then, SPS has developed into a well-established school serving New York City's dynamic marketplace through the provision of timely, innovative, and academically rigorous programs of study designed to address new or unmet needs. Home to CUNY's first fully online undergraduate degrees and groundbreaking master's degree programs, SPS has found new ways of fulfilling CUNY's mission of access, reaching students with new modes of instruction, new courses and curricula, and new kinds of learning tailored for diverse requirements and constituencies. It has launched a dozen degrees - six bachelor's and six master's degrees - since 2006, and there are more currently in development. Enrollments have grown to over 2000 students in the credit-bearing programs, and the School has seen more growth in its non-credit offerings, with a portfolio of grant-funded programs currently accounting for more than $6 million. In addition, the School now maintains an active Alumni Association, has established the SPS Foundation, and will soon occupy its own dedicated space.
The Joseph S. Murphy Institute for Worker Education and Labor Studies is a collaboration between the University and New York City labor unions, for the purpose of serving the educational, policy, and research needs of unions and their members. The mission of the Institute is to: 1) offer undergraduate and graduate programs to labor and urban studies; 2) expand working adult student access to colleges throughout the CUNY system; 3) partner with labor unions and employers to address training and education needs of union members; and 4) serve the labor and broader community by conducting research, offering leadership development programs, hosting forums and national conferences, and publishing articles, books, and a national labor journal to promote debate on issues critical to labor's future and its policy role.
The Academic Internship Specialist/New York Union will administer all aspects of the New York Union Semester (NYUS) program, reporting to the Associate Director for Worker Education at The Joseph S. Murphy Institute for Worker Education and Labor Studies. New York Union Semester is a unique study and internship program that brings undergraduate and graduate students from around the country to work as paid interns with NYC unions while studying labor history and other academic courses in the field of labor studies at the Murphy Institute.
The Academic Internship Specialist for the New York Union Semester program will:
- Assist with the development and implementation of a national recruitment plan for the NYUS.
- Assist with oversight of production of program recruitment materials and development and maintenance of the NYUS program website.
- Foster relationships with faculty and administrative personnel at campuses nationwide.
- Assist in selection of faculty; develop internship sites for students; and conduct interviews with applicants.
- Assist prospective students with admission/registration process.
- Assist participants with living arrangement logistics in New York City.
- Advise program participants; assist with developing social and recreational programs for program participants.
- Conduct ongoing evaluation of the program; act as liaison between program and students/host organizations.
- Monitor and report on the progress of internships on weekly basis.
- Meet with students and mentors at regular intervals throughout term.
- Coordinate pre-semester orientation/end-of-term certificate ceremony.
- Assist with budget management for the program.
- Supports an academic internship program providing career development and professional work experience.
- Acts as liaison between the College and employer sponsors, monitoring the success of students' internship experiences
- Supervises student internships, assuring adherence to related College and governmental policies and regulations
- Creates and conducts orientation sessions and workshops for students in the internship program; coordinates applications, interviews, and placement as part of overall student outreach
- Provides faculty orientation and development related to internship programs
- Implements and evaluates competencies and other success factors
- Performs related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree and four years' related experience required.
- Master degree in a related field preferred
- Experience in higher education preferred
- Recruitment/organizing experience preferred
- Experience with or knowledge of the U.S. labor movement preferred
- Ability to examine, evaluate and re-design administrative operations and procedures; ability to develop and implement new operational procedures
- Ability to analyze and solve problems
- Ability to use independent judgment and maintain records containing confidential student information
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively in a fast-paced, demanding, and complex work environment
- Ability to carry out complex assignments and adapt to changing situations and priorities
Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
How To Apply
***If you are unable to upload your cover application through the system, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.Make sure to indicate which position you are applying for and that you have submitted your application online.***
An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/IRCA/Americans with Disabilities Act Employer.
The Graduate Center complies with the Clery Act and copies of its annual report on security policies and statistics are available in its Security Office.