IT Senior Associate, Level 3 (Provisional)- Database Administrator
- Job Class: Information Technology
- Job ID Number: 9330
- Department: Information Technology
- Location: The Graduate Center
- Closing Date: NOV 16, 2013
Campus Specific Information
Information Technology (IT) is the division of the Graduate Center responsible for voice, video, and data systems and services. The mission of this unit is to promote, facilitate, and support the effective use of technology in the learning process, in instruction and research, and in processing and accessing institutional information.
Reporting directly to the Database Services Manager and as a member of the IT Systems Services Division, the IT Senior Associate, Level 3 for Database Administration is responsible for overseeing, installing, upgrading, maintaining, troubleshooting, and researching database and software applications. This position works in concert with others to create, maintain, and support a set of integrated information systems and databases of institutional data for administrative functions.
- Oversee and conduct databases and applications upgrades of significant complexity; complete highly complex projects requiring technical and administrative expertise.
- Manage the enterprise class database environments across the Graduate Center; provide leadership and vision to grow and ensure operational stability of these same environments.
- Oversee the integration, inter-operability and interfaces across various complex systems and applications.
- Direct and participate in administrative IT task forces.
- Manage the installation and maintenance including regular patches and upgrades of application and database system software.
- Troubleshoot and provide resolution with possible root cause analysis for database and software applications.
- Establish and maintain solid database backup and recovery procedures using recommended tools.
- Perform database tuning and capacity planning proactively.
- Implement and strictly adhere to data security and integrity policies.
- Implement for disaster recovery and high availability for business continuity and perform periodic review.
- Research new software and technology for enhancements to IT services portfolio according to the business needs and requirements.
- Create database objects and write SQL code.
- Collaborate with team members in data modeling and SQL tuning; recommend SQL best practices.
- Conduct audits of database and applications for regulatory, performance compliance, and enhancements.
- Integrate and interface disparate databases and third-party tools and software.
- Collaborate with other Information Technology staff to ensure smooth delivery of services and interact with vendors and CUNY technology support managers and staff as necessary.
- Create documentation for cross training in the operation of the databases and he application system.
- Remain current with software industry related and non-related technologies; engage in a rigorous ongoing program of professional development.
- Perform other related duties and assignments as required.
I.T. Senior Associates perform highly complex professional work in technology-related disciplines. While areas of specialization vary, typically I.T. Senior Associates perform a range of work in development/programming, communications, technical support, or similar functions depending on the needs of the Information Technology area to which they report. Work tasks include diagnosing, evaluating, overseeing and resolving highly complex projects. They have wide latitude for independent initiative and judgment and may serve in lead roles on complex programs or projects, and/or serve as a direct supervisor of a unit or group.
I.T. Senior Associates should demonstrate mastery of one or more technology-related disciplines, decision-making ability in situations related to those disciplines, and be able to serve as a resource in these areas. They may contribute to decisions on I.T. policies and technical standards.
This job is in CUNY's Classified Civil Service. The full specification is available on our web site at http://www.cuny.edu/about/administration/offices/ohrm/hros/classification/ccsjobs.html
1. High School Diploma, G.E.D., or equivalent
2. An equivalent of ten years of experience post-high school that can be met by one of the following: ten years of full-time work experience in a computer or technology related position; an Associate's degree plus eight years of full-time work experience in a computer or technology-related position; or a Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution plus six years of full-time work experience in a computer or technology-related position
3. Demonstrated English Language proficiency
4. A Motor Vehicle Driver's license, valid in New York State, may be required for some, but not all positions.
This title has three levels. In addition to the minimum qualifications above, To qualify for Levels 2 and 3, additional qualifications, such as education, experience, or certification relevant to the area of specialization are required.
Preferred qualifications include:
- Experience in an enterprise-wide based ERP system like Banner, Datatel, and/or PeopleSoft
- Experience in Oracle/Microsoft SQUMySQL database server software and related products
- Knowledge of scripting language, web architecture, servers, network, and operating systems
- Excellent analytical, problem solving and communication skills; ability to perform independently and at the same participate in a team oriented environment; and ability to manage changing priorities and workloads
- Experience in a higher education setting; experience leading technical teams or projects
- Ability to work flexible hours
How To Apply
***If you are unable to upload your cover application through the system, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.Make sure to indicate which position you are applying for and that you have submitted your application online.***
An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/IRCA/Americans with Disabilities Act Employer.
The Graduate Center complies with the Clery Act and copies of its annual report on security policies and statistics are available in its Security Office.