Administrative Specialist (2 Positions)
- Job Class: Managerial and Professional
- Job ID Number: 9076
- Department: CUNY School of Public Health
- Location: CUNY School of Public Health
- Closing Date: NOV 20, 2013
Campus Specific Information
One Administrative Specialist position will directly report to the CUNY School of Public Health (SPH) Associate Dean for Academic and Faculty Affairs and provide administrative support to both the Associate Dean and Senior Associate Dean for Administration and Intercampus Coordinator.
The other Administrative Specialist position will directly report to the SPH Assistant Dean for Student Affairs and provide administrative support to both the Assistant Dean and Associate Dean for Research.
S/he will handle routine and complex administrative, operational, and communications functions related to school's administrative affairs, intercampus coordination, academic affairs, and faculty affairs. This includes meeting, event, and course scheduling, planning, and coordination; providing administrative support on budget and finance, facilities, IT, personnel (including faculty tenure and promotion), and time and attendance (including faculty workload) issues; supporting recruitment searches for various departments; managing written and electronic correspondence; preparing routine reports, as required by college, university, state, and accrediting bodies; and maintaining an online presence for the schools administrative, academic, and faculty affairs by writing, editing, and proofreading website content and updating available information where necessary on these issues.
- Provides administrative and program support to an administrative or academic department.
- Oversees department operations and assists management in planning department activities, creating schedules, assigning staff and preparing and delivering department communications.
- Works with appropriate offices related to personnel recruitment, expediting search activities
- Research coordinates and organizes materials for key events such as promotion and tenure reviews.
- Supervises and trains support staff and student workers.
- Manages budget and coordinates purchasing, accounting, and payroll.
- Provides instructions and basic advice to students, faculty, and others seeking information on department activities, policies, and schedules.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree and four years' relevant experience required.
- Four (4) years of progressively responsible experience performing confidential administrative work in a higher education institution or complex organization preferred
- Experience in managing and preparing the budget and accounting functions of a program, department, or School in an academic setting
- Experience working with Banner, PeopleSoft, or other databases to compile, translate, and utilize student and institutional data in an academic setting
- Proficient using computers and software programs, especially Microsoft Office, Lotus Notes, Microsoft Outlook, or other e-mail and scheduling application
- Experience in preparing annual reports for a program, department, or school in an academic setting
- Strong work ethic and integrity with a high level of professional discretion and confidentiality highly desired
- Motivated and enthusiastic self-starter with the ability to take initiative, use sound judgment, and resolve problems diplomatically and discretely preferred
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to establish priorities, manage multiple demands and projects, and meet deadlines strongly preferred
- Customer service excellence and detail orientation desired
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills highly desired
- Ability to work effectively, collaboratively, and cooperatively with diverse students, faculty, staff and external constituencies
Commensurate with qualifications and experience
How To Apply
***If you are unable to upload your cover application through the system, please e-mail email@example.com.Make sure to indicate which position you are applying for and that you have submitted your application online.***
An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/IRCA/Americans with Disabilities Act Employer.
The Graduate Center complies with the Clery Act and copies of its annual report on security policies and statistics are available in its Security Office.