Special Legal Counsel (Legal Counsel to President)
- Job Class: Managerial and Professional
- Job ID Number: 9400
- Department: Office of the Special Legal Counsel
- Location: The Graduate Center
- Closing Date: NOV 24, 2013
Campus Specific Information
The City University of New York seeks an experienced attorney to serve as Special Legal Counsel to four CUNY colleges/units, ranging from graduate/professional schools to its newest community college. The Special Legal Counsel will provide legal guidance on many challenging issues arising in the higher education context, including issues relating to labor and employment, student issues, litigation, compliance, affiliation and contractual agreements, and college governance. The Special Legal Counsel will report to the Presidents of The Graduate Center and Guttman Community College, and will be located at The Graduate Center and at Guttman. S/he will also serve as the various units' liaison with the CUNY Office of General Counsel.
Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Serve as legal advisor to the Presidents and senior administrators of four CUNY units.
- Provide guidance on the implementation of and compliance with CUNY Board of Trustees Bylaws, CUNY and college policies, college governance plans, laws, regulations, and other procedures and rules affecting employees and students.
- Provide legal counsel to College staff in areas related to contract and commercial matters; prepare legal documents and contracts.
- Work with CUNY's Office of General Counsel in managing and supporting litigation and administrative cases involving students, college officers, faculty, and employees.
- Review and respond to subpoenas and information requests under the N.Y.S. Freedom of Information Law.
- Depending on the college/unit, may serve as the college Ethics Officer, Records Access Officer, and/or Labor Designee responsible for the handling of union grievances.
- Manage the receipt and disposition of legal documents.
- Conduct investigations, prepare charges, and recommend resolutions to assist senior college officers.
- In consultation with college or university officers, develop and manage legally mandated training programs.
- May serve as a member of the President's cabinet with other senior administrators.
- Provides professional in-house legal advice, representation, and performs legal duties on behalf of the President(s) and/or senior administration of one or more CUNY colleges or units.
- Serves as legal counsel to the President and senior administrators
- Provides guidance on the implementation of and compliance with CUNY Board of Trustees Bylaws, CUNY and college policies, college governance plans, laws, regulations and other procedures and rules effecting the college(s)
- Prepares legal documents and contracts
- Works closely with CUNY's Office of General Counsel in managing and supporting litigation and administrative cases involving students, faculty and staff
- May serve as college Ethics Officer, Records Access Officer, Legal Affairs and/or Labor Designee responsible for the handling of legal matters, union grievances and investigations
- Reviews and maintains up-to-date knowledge of State and Federal laws and maintains college/unit policies and procedures so that they are current and consistent with those laws
- Performs related duties as assigned
J.D. and five years' related experience required. Membership in New York State Bar required.
In addition to the minimum qualifications, the successful candidate will have the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Five years of related experience including at least three years in law practice required
- Knowledge of relevant state and federal employment laws and experience responding to employment-related complaints and issues strongly preferred
- Work effectively in varied situations involving extensive client contact
- Strong work ethic, character, and personal integrity to work with the utmost professionalism, discretion, confidentiality, and diplomacy
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication and presentation skills
- Detail oriented and accurate with exceptional critical analysis, research, and evaluation skills to be decisive and draw valid conclusions
- Strong organizational skills with ability to manage a large and varied workload of assignments with conflicting priorities, follow up, and complete work by prescribed deadlines
Commensurate with qualifications and experience
How To Apply
***If you are unable to upload your cover application through the system, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.Make sure to indicate which position you are applying for and that you have submitted your application online.***
An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/IRCA/Americans with Disabilities Act Employer.
The Graduate Center complies with the Clery Act and copies of its annual report on security policies and statistics are available in its Security Office.