Student Career Program Manager
- Job Class: Managerial/Professional
- Job ID Number: 10098
- Department: School Of Journalism
- Location: School Of Journalism
- Closing Date: FEB 21, 2014
CAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATION
- Advises students and alumni on a broad range of job, internship, and career possibilities to make use of their journalism skills; provides guidance on resumes, cover letters, internships, and search strategies; and reaches out to alumni and students with jobs appropriate to their special interest/talents.
- Works with the Director of Career Services to contact and recruit employers to seek out new internship and job opportunities, and distributes that information to students and alumni.
- Searches out new career opportunities in the evolving field of journalism; this could include jobs and internships at start-ups and technology companies producing or curating content, or jobs that employ journalism skills in non-traditional ways.
- Acts as Social Media and Communications liaison to students, alumni, and employers, and maintains content in Career Services section of the J-School's website.
- Oversees online career-services management systems.
- Collects, tracks, and analyzes data on recruitment activities, student learning outcomes, and alumni employment, and uses that information to strategize on improving career services.
- Assists with events introducing students to employers and exploring successful job search techniques, new opportunities for journalists, and branding and freelancing strategies.
- Manages administrative work such as compiling data, creating reports, filing documents, overseeing calendar of events, reserving meeting space, and other related duties.
Develops and manages career development programs and services in a College of Unit and assumes a leadership role in the design and delivery of creative approaches to career education and planning.
- Assists in unit planning, such as setting goals and objectives, and monitors status of progress toward meeting goals
- Designs and produces outcomes assessment reports; reviews outcomes and feedback and recommends strategies to expand and improve services.
- Directs a portfolio of targeted career programs, such as mentoring, internship, and alumni programs
- Manages one or more aspects of career office operations, such as on-campus recruiting
- Evaluates new technologies, assessment materials, and other career tools, makes recommendations, and acquires/implements them
- May counsel a limited number of students
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Bachelor's Degree and six years' related experience required.
- Eight years' experience in journalism or career services, or a combination of both
- Demonstrated knowledge of current trends in journalism beyond traditional news outlets and how the journalism job market is evolving
- Proven ability to prioritize and manage multiple demands and projects
- Excellent verbal and written communication, presentation, and organizational skills
- Ability to work independently and accomplish goals in a timely manner
- Skill in developing, implementing, and assessing programs and events
- Skill in using computer programs including Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, web-based search engines, applications, and blogging software
- Skill in using social media as a tool for monitoring trends in journalism careers and spotting new job opportunities
- Record of successfully engaging students, alumni, and/or employers
- Student advisement and/or tutorial and/or mentoring experience
- Record of devising creative strategies to achieve departmental goals
- Proven ability in strategic planning, prioritization, and managing multiple demands and projects
- Previous work experience in higher education, career services, or recruitment or employment area with a strong knowledge of labor markets and trends in journalism
- Experience using Symplicity
Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
How To Apply
Please apply by using the link below:
***If you are unable to upload your application please email email@example.com. Make sure to indicate which position you are applying for and that you have submitted your application online.***
An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/IRCA/Americans with Disabilities Act Employer.
The Graduate Center complies with the Clery Act and copies of its annual report on security policies and statistics are available in its Security Office.