Executive Director of Academic Affairs (Administrator)
- Job Class: Executive
- Job ID Number: 10217
- Department: Office of the Provost and Senior Vice President
- Location: The Graduate Center
- Closing Date: JUN 15, 2014
Campus Specific Information
The Provost and Senior Vice President is the chief academic officer of The Graduate Center, the principal Ph.D.-granting institution of CUNY. She also serves as deputy to the President. She has overall responsibility for the quality and performance of the degree-granting programs, including curriculum, governance, and budgetary matters. The Provost's Office includes the Office of Institutional Research and Program Effectiveness. The Provost oversees the Mina Rees Library, the Office of Student Affairs (including the Office of Career Planning and Professional Development), Research and Sponsored Programs, the Office of Financial Aid, Office of Digital Initiatives, the Advanced Research Collaborative, and the Language Reading Program as well as the Offices of the Associate Provosts and Associate Dean. Her office oversees student recruitment and fellowship support; faculty hiring, promotion and support; and academic strategies. The Provost's Office has 16 staff members, two Associate Provosts, and one Associate Dean.
Reporting to the Provost, the Executive Director of Academic Affairs is one of her senior advisors and directs a broad range of academic matters. The Executive Director of Academic Affairs is also a member of the President's Cabinet.
- Being up-to-date on academic issues at the Graduate Center and in the University, and advising the Provost.
- Overseeing the operation of the Provost 's Office and the Office of Institutional Research and Program Effectiveness, including oversight and supervision of 16 staff members.
- Serving as liaison between the Office of the Provost and the other Graduate Center administrative offices.
- Coordinating academic initiatives and assisting in the development and implementation of academic policies.
- Serving as chief resource for the Academic Review Committee and overseeing, on behalf of the Provost, faculty appointments, reappointments, promotions, tenure, and leaves of absence.
- Supervising, on behalf of the Provost, the preparation of the academic affairs budget and the budgets of the Provost's office and all academic offices reporting to the Provost.
- Managing and facilitating the functioning of Graduate Center governance and committees.
- Communicating, coordinating, and facilitating Provost's office priorities, policies, and programs to the academic programs and GC administrative offices.
- Supporting and advising the Associate Provosts and the Associate Dean on academic programs and policies.
- Exercising confidentiality and discretion; representing the Provost on committees and at meetings.
- Performing other related duties as assigned.
As a member of the executive team, reporting to senior executive management, the Administrator oversees one or more College administrative functions to meet strategic goals and provide responsive, cost-effective, and high-quality services and programs. He/she plans, implements, and manages key programs with responsibility for budget, personnel, and daily operations and coordinates and participates in key College- and University-wide committees and advisory groups.
This position is in CUNY's Executive Compensation Plan. All executive positions require a minimum of a Bachelor's degree and eight years' related experience. Additional qualifications are defined below by the College.
The successful candidate will have:
- A demonstrated record of effective leadership in higher education administration; CUNY experience preferred; Master's degree or doctorate preferred
- Experience developing and implementing strategic plans and policies
- Excellent communication and writing skills and the ability to work effectively with the college community: faculty, students, administrators, and staff at all levels
- Excellent organizational and managerial skills
Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
How To Apply
Please apply using the link below:
The committee will begin reviewing applications on April 16, 2014. The search will remain open until the position is filled.
***If you are unable to upload your application please email it to email@example.com. Please make sure to indicate which position you are applying for and that you have submitted your application online.***
An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/IRCA/Americans with Disabilities Act Employer.
The Graduate Center complies with the Clery Act and copies of its annual report on security policies and statistics are available in its Security Office.