Holiday Security and Safety Guidelines
Certain types of crime increase during the holiday season. In the past, there have been reports of on-campus theft during this period. In order to prevent you from falling victim to the crimes that occur during the holiday season, we recommend that you take the following precautions:
- Secure all valuables in locked desks or cabinets.
- During extended absences from the college, secure small items normally left on your desk.
- Avoid leaving packages overnight in your office.
- Safeguard your keys (do not leave them lying on desks, hanging in doors, etc.).
- Lock your office when you leave.
- Report any suspicious activity to Security at x7777.
The chance of fire also increases with the increased use of decorations during the holiday season. In order to minimize the potential fire hazards associated with the holiday decorations, please follow the safety guidelines below if you plan on decorating your office:
- Do not display large amounts of money in public.
- If you have to carry cash, keep the larger amounts separate and not in your wallet or purse.
- Be mindful of pickpockets on crowded trains, buses and elevators.
- Keep money and wallets on a secure part of your person and be suspicious of excessive bumping.
- When making credit card purchases, obtain your receipt and carbon paper.
- Do not place shopping bags or pocketbooks on the ground and out of touch while paying forother items.
- Place packages and merchandise in the trunk of your car and out of view.
Thank you for your cooperation and have a happy and safe holiday. Please call me at x7761 if you have any questions or concerns.
- Use decorations that are noncombustible and labeled as flameproof. The use of real evergreen trees, wreathes, garland, cotton and other combustible material is prohibited.
- Electric decorative lighting should be inspected before use.
- Dispose of lights that have broken/cracked sockets, exposed wire or loose connections. Electronic items must have an Underwriters Laboratories (UL) approval tag.
- Electric wires should not be run in such a way that they are wedged or pinched against furniture or doors.
- Multi-plug adapters may not be used.
- Unplug lights at the end of the day.
- Burning candles or other types of open flames is prohibited.
- Decorations should not obstruct exits or exit signs.
Submitted on: DEC 6, 2010