(PhD Chicago 1960; Dist Prof Emerita) Social anthropology, modernization, anthropology of work; Bolivia, Mexico (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- "Civil Society" in The Anthropology of Political Systems, Daniel Nugent, ed. New York and London: Blackwell Press.
- "'Una guerra de Tinta Y el Internet' vs. 'Fiesta de la Palabra': La Retórica en la Rebelión de Chiapas," to be published in the proceedings of the Primer Congresso de la Retórica," Mexico.
- "Beyond Resistance and Protest" in Proceedings of a School of American Research Conference on Mayas Across the Border, John Watanabe and Edward Fischer, eds.
- "Survival and Regeneration: Indigenous Women and Development in the Rainforests of Lacandonia and the Amazon," to be published in Proceedings of the Conference on the Amazonian Rainforest, Ligia Simonian, ed.
- "The Mayan Quest for Autonomy in Mexico and Guatemala," to be published in the proceedings of a conference at Claremont College, May 2002, Duane Chanpagne, ed.
- 2001 Mayan Visions: The Quest for Autonomy in an Age of Globalization. New York and London: Routledge Press.
Selected Recent Publications
- 2003 "Forward: Activists, Poets, and Anthropologists in the Frontlines of Research," pp. ix-xv in Women of Chiapas: Making History in Times of Struggle and Hope by Christine Eber and Christine Kovic. New York: Routledge University Press.
- 2003 "The Integration of Indigeneous People in Civil Society" in Social Analysis, Vol. 47, no. 1.
- 2003 "The War of the Peace in Chiapas: Indigenous Women's Struggle for Peace and Justice," pp. 285-312 in What Justice? Whose Justice? Fighting for Fairness in Latin America, Susan Eva Eckstein and Timothy P. Wickham-Crowley, eds. Berkeley: University of California Press.
- 2003 "Mesoamerican Indigenous Women and Religion" in Latino(a) Research Review, Vol. 5, no. 2-3.
- 2003 "The Domestication of Military Violence" in the Society for Feminist Anthropologists' Anthropology Newsletter.
- 2003 "Mexico Turns South for its Future," pp. 6-10 in Society for the Anthropology of North America, Vol. 6, no. 1 (June).
- 2003 "Indigenous Development Alternatives," pp. 57-98 in Urban Anthropology and Studies of Cultural Systems, Vol. 32, no. 1.
- 2002 "Postscript: Gender in Place and Culture," in Gender's Place: Feminist Anthropologies of Latin America, Rosario Montoya, Lessie Jo Frazier, and Janise Hurtig, eds. New York and London: Routledge Press.
- 2002 Reprint of "Ethnographic Aspects of the World Capitalist System" in The Anthropology of Politics: A Reader in Ethnographic Theory and Critique, Joan Vincent, ed. London and New York: Blackwell Press.
- 2002 "Globalization and the Cultivation of Peripheral Vision," pp. 5-20 in Anthropology Today, Vol. 17, no. 4 (August).
- 2001 "Ethnicity, Race, and Gender: Intersection in the Americas, Opportunities for Dialogue and Advancement within the International Human Rights Framework" in Race, Gender, Ethnicity and Human Rights in the Americas: A New Paradigm for Activists, Celina Romany, ed.
- 2001 "Resistencia cultural y conciencia de clase en las comunidades mineras de Bolivia" in Poder y Protesta Popular: Movimientos Sociales Latinoamericanos, Susan Eckstein, ed. Mexico DF: Siglo 21.
- 2001 Postscript to Artisans and Cooperatives: Developing Alternative Trade for the Global Economy, B. Lynne Milgrim, ed. Tucson: The University of Arizona Press.
- 2000 "Gender, Ethnicity, and Migration: Teaching Diversity" in Cultural Diversity in the United States, Ida Susser, ed. London and New York: Blackwell Publications.
- 2000 "Gendered Deities and the Survival of Culture," pp. 297-316 in Gender/Bodies, Religion, Sylvia Marcos, ed. Cuernavaca, Mexico: Aler Books.