Lehman College is located on Bedford Park Boulevard West and Goulden Avenue in a residential area in the northwest Bronx, south of Van Cortlandt Park and west of the New York Botanical Garden-near the border of Westchester County. The 37-acre campus is situated between the Kingsbridge and Bedford Park neighborhoods, along the historic Jerome Park Reservoir. With more than 60,000 alumni and 12,000 students, Lehman College serves the Bronx and our surrounding region as an intellectual, economic, and cultural center.
Lehman College was established as an independent unit of The City University of New York on July 1, 1968, following a decision by the University's Board of Trustees to create a comprehensive senior college in the Bronx with its own faculty, curriculum, and administration. The College took over the campus that, since 1931, had served as the Bronx branch of Hunter College, known as Hunter-in-the-Bronx. The College is named after Herbert H. Lehman, who was governor of New York State, a U.S. Senator, and an internationalist.
The chemistry faculty consists of six members in a variety of subdisciplines including organic, inorganic, analytical and physical chemistry. Faculty, post-doctoral researchers, graduate students and undergraduates are engaged in a variety of projects of current interest in science and chemical education. Research interests are varied ranging from computer aided drug design, to nanomaterials and biomaterials. An overview of professors' current research is available here.
For more information, see the Lehman College Chemsitry Department website. A list of Chemistry doctoral faculty at Lehman College is available here.