65-30 Kissena Boulevard
Flushing, N.Y. 11367
Queens College, founded in 1937, occupies a 76-acre, grass-covered campus in a quiet residential area of the borough of Queens. Housing and shopping areas in Queens are within walking distance or a short bus ride, and the Graduate Center in midtown Manhattan is readily accessible by public transportation. The Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry is housed primarily in Remsen Hall, a four-story laboratory and classroom building and also occupies several research laboratories and offices in the adjacent Science Building. Construction begins in 2006 on an annex to Remsen that will house all instructional laboratories and most organic research labs, and renovations on Remsen will be started to house physical, bioorganic, and biochemistry research labs.
The Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry is well supplied with modern equipment for support of research. For instance, major items primarily used by the organic groups include a Bruker DPX 400 MHz FT NMR with automatic sample changer, a Bruker 500 MHz NMR spectrometer with PFG, a Vacuum Atmosphere inert atmosphere glove box for organometallic and organophosphorus research, a microwave-assisted reaction system, various gas and liquid chromatographs, analytical spectrophotometers, and an HP GC/MS; major items used by the materials groups include a Thermolyne Model 1500 Programmable Oven and Blue M high temperature tube furnaces with spray deposition facility, a photo resist spinner, a Tousimis super critical extractor, a computerized absorption spectrophotometer for solution, solid and diffuse reflectance spectroscopy, a Spex emission spectrophotometer, single photon counting and red-sensitive Hamamatsu PMTs, an IBM-Bruker EPR equipped for in situ photolyses, Perkin-Elmer TGA, DSC and TMA, Micrometrics automated BET with micropore analysis option, Digital Nanoscope III AFM/STM, Hitachi scanning electron microscope, JEOL Transmission Electron Microscope, Atomika secondary ion mass spectrometer with simultaneous Auger capabilities, and a Neocera pulsed laser deposition/ablation system equipped with a Lambda Physik LPX 305iF excimer laser; major items used by the physical groups also include nanosecond pulsed Nd-YAG laser and dye laser systems as well as assorted flash photolysis laser equipment and accessories; several faculty in the department also use various beamlines at the National Sychrotron Light Source at Brookhaven National Laboratory and the Synchrotron Radiation Center at the University of Wisconsin-Madison; the biochemical and biophysical equipment includes an OLIS DSM 10 uv/vis CD spectrophotometer, a Microcal isothermal titration calorimeter, a Kibron microtrough monolayer apparatus, an ABS oligonucleotide synthesizer; ultracentrifuges; pulsed field, 2-D, and capillary electrophoresis; Packard 2000CA Liquid Scintillation Counter; cold rooms; sterilizers; and incubator rooms. Computer facilities are excellent, including departmental computers for molecular modeling, and the entire campus has wireless access. Departmental support staff include a full-time electronics technician and an NMR facility manager. A well- equipped machine shop with full-time machinists is available to faculty and graduate students in the science division.
See the Departmental web site for further details and note that the biochemistry faculty in the department are not all listed on this Graduate Center Chemistry Ph.D. program web site.