A Celebration of the 20th anniversary of
Dennis Sullivan's appointment as
the Albert Einstein Chair in Science at
The City University of New York
September 20-21, 2002
CUNY Graduate Center
365 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY
The academic year 2001-2002 marks the twentieth anniversary of the appointment of Professor Dennis Sullivan to the Albert Einstein Chair in Science at CUNY.
The Ph.D. Program in Mathematics is celebrating this milestone with a conference in honor of Professor Sullivan on September 20-21 2002 at the Graduate Center.
- Invariants of Manifolds and Algebraic Topology
- Real and Complex Dynamics and Foliations
- String Algebra and Quantum Computing
- Moira Chas, Stony Brook
- Etienne Ghys, ENS, Lyon
- Mikhail Lyubich, Stony Brook
- John Milnor, Stony Brook
- Yair Minsky, Stony Brook
- John Morgan, Columbia
- Graeme Segal, Oxford
- Michael Shub, Watson/IBM
- Nicola Teleman, Ancona
- Zhenghan Wang, Indiana
Organizers: Frederick Gardiner, Martin Moskowitz, Burton Randol, Alvany Rocha, Joseph Roitberg, Nils Tongring, Alphonse Vasquez.
Dr. Frances Degen Horowitz, the President of the Graduate Center, will make the opening remarks at the beginning of the Conference on Friday.
There will be a reception at the mathematics lounge on Thursday at 6:00 to welcome the conference participants.
Breakfast will be served beginning at 9:00 A.M. on Friday and Saturday at the Recital Hall for registered participants. Registration starts at 8:30 A.M. at the Recital Hall on Friday. There is no registration fee, however registration is required to attend the conference.
Schedule of Lectures: The lectures will take place at the Recital Hall.
|9:30 AM - John Milnor
||9:30 AM - John Morgan
|11:00 AM - Michael Shub
||11:00 AM - Zhenghan Wang
|2:00 PM - Etienne Ghys
||2:00 PM - Moira Chas
|3:30 PM - Mikhail Lyubich
||3:30 PM - Yair Minsky
|5:00 PM - Nicola Teleman
||4:30 PM - Graeme Segal
The Conference Banquet will be on Saturday evening at 7:00 at CIBO restaurant.
TITLES AND ABSTRACTS:
- John Milnor, The Dynamics of Evolution.
- Michael Shub, Random versus Mean Exponents for Families of Maps with Symmetry.
- Etienne Ghys, Commutators and Diffeomorphisms of Surfaces.
- Mikhail Lyubich, Low Dimensional Renormalization: from Conjectures to Theorems.
- Nicola Teleman, Manifold Structures and Operators on Topological Manifolds.
- John Morgan, One Dimensional Families of Calabi-Yau Threefolds
- Zhenghan Wang, Quantum Invariants and Quantum Algorithms.
- Moira Chas, Lie Bialgebras of Curves on Surfaces and their Computation.
- Yair Minsky, Ends of Hyperbolic Three-Manifolds: Flexibility, Rigidity and Classification
- Graeme Segal, The Structure of Manifolds.
We have blocked a limited number of rooms at $160.55/night at the Princeton Club for September 19, 20 and 21. The Princeton Club is located within an easy walk from the Graduate Center. Registered participants may reserve rooms with us on a first come first serve basis. The deadline to reserve is September 5th.
In addition, participants may reserve directly at the Comfort Inn by calling the number (212)947-0200. The Comfort Inn is located half-a-block from the Graduate Center. We suggest that you make your reservations as soon as possible.
Tickets for the banquet on September 21st are being partly subsidized by the Einstein Chair Fund. Registrants may reserve a seat at the banquet by sending $25 per person to the attention of Karen Duhart before September 12th. For students the fee is reduced to $15 per person. Please make your checks payable to the Graduate Center.
Cibo restaurant is located at 767 2nd Avenue, within a walking distance from the Graduate Center.
LIST OF PARTICIPANTS
Click here for complete list of conference participants.
For information and registration: Please contact Ms. Karen Duhart at (212) 817-8578, fax: (212) 817-1584, email: firstname.lastname@example.org