Degrees/Diplomas: DNSc, NP, CNM
Campus Affiliation: Hunter College
Research Interests: Nursing Research, Women's Health
Primary Teaching Areas:
- Research Focus: Reproductive health issues (unintended pregnancy, reproductive decision making, chronic illness and pregnancy, effect of health literacy) among women made vulnerable by HIV, substance abuse, mental illness and/or involvement with criminal justice system.
- Education Focus: Social media to enhance learning, the role of the nurse in community settings.
- Practice Focus: Symptom Identification & Symptom Management in Women's Health, health literacy & ethical practice issues in women's health.
- Nursing Research
- Women's Health
- Sanders, L.B. & Gebbie, K.M. (2009). Families, Social Policy, and Health Disparities. In Family Health Care Nursing: Theory, Practice, and Research, 4th ed. Hanson, Gedaly-Duff, and Kaakinen, eds. Philadelphia, Pa: F.A.Davis.
Refereed Journal Articles
Works in Progress:
- Sanders, L.B (2009) Reproductive Life Plans: Initiating the Dialogue with Women. MCN, The American Journal of Maternal Child Nursing 34(6): 342-49.
- Sanders, L.B. (2009) Preconception Care: Policy and Practice Implications for Nurses. Politics, Policy and Nursing Practice 10(2): 129-33.
- Sanders, L.B. (2009). Sexual behaviors and practices of women with HIV in relation to pregnancy. Journal of the Association of Nurses in AIDS Care 20(1): 62-8.
- Sanders, L.B. (2008). The lived experience of pregnancy after diagnosis with HIV: Women's voices. Journal of the Association of Nurses in AIDS Care 19(1): 47-57.
- Sanders, L.B. (in review). Perceptions of Reproductive Life Plans: A Qualitative Perspective.
- Facilitators and Barriers to Reproductive Health Information for Women and Men Living with HIV/AIDS. Lorraine Sanders, P.I. $5362.75 PSC City University of New York 7/1/10 - 6/31/11.
- Knowledge, Attitudes, and Utilization of Reproductive Life Plans. Lorraine Sanders, P.I. $4468.95 PSC City University of New York 4/15/09 - 4/24/10.
- Doctorate of Nursing Science, Columbia University
- Post Master's Certificate Psych/Mental Health, SUNY Stony Brook
- Certificate Midwifery, SUNY Downstate
- Master's in Nursing, SUNY Stony Brook
- BS in Nursing, Excelsior College