Those interested in applying to the Political Science Program MUST CAREFULLY consult the Admissions Office webpage AND THE INSTRUCTIONS BELOW. WE WILL NOT REVIEW INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS.
In addition to meeting the general University requirements for admission, the applicant must present a minimum of 24 credits of undergraduate work in acceptable courses in Political Science, History, Economics, or related fields.
All applicants to the Program are required to take the General Test of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE). In addition, applicants who have not studied and earned a degree in an English-speaking country are required to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), even if the primary language of instruction was English. WE WILL NOT REVIEW APPLICATIONS WITHOUT GREs. THERE IS NO MINIMUM SCORE CUT OFF, BUT OBVIOUSLY BETTER IS BETTER.
The PhD program accepts a maximum of 21 credits from other graduate programs, and the MA program accepts a maximum of 12 credits from other graduate programs. Transfer credit evaluations are made during the student's first semester.
Helpful Tips for Program Applicants from the Admissions Committee:
Please make sure that you provide two academic references from professors who can attest to your scholarly ability and performance.
GRE scores do matter. The Program never waives them, so arrange to take GREs in time to meet the application deadline.
Your statement of purpose should discuss your research interests and the work you would like to do as a political scientist. We are interested in how you view yourself as a future professional.
Carefully edit your statement of purpose. We are interested in your ability to write well and communicate ideas persuasively.
We REQUIRE COMPLETE applications. Make sure that all supporting materials are received in time to meet the application deadline.
See more at: http://www.gc.cuny.edu/Page-Elements/Academics-Research-Centers-Initiatives/Doctoral-Programs/Political-Science/Admissions#sthash.iNImYJpJ.dpuf
Students applying for Readmission to the Political Science Program must submit their completed Application for Readmission to the Office of the Registrar by April 15 for Fall semester readmission. All Applications for Readmission will be reviewed by the Political Science Program's Admissions Committee.
• 7 credits in 1st semester. • 7 credits in 2nd semester. • At least one course in Theory. • Select major and minor by end of year.
• 7 credits in 1st semester. • 7 credits in 2nd semester. • Compete 700-level courses in major and minor. • Course in 1st "other field." Two or three 800-level courses.
• 7 credits in 1st semester. • 7 credits in 2nd semester. • First Exam in minor in January & in major in August. • Apply transfer credits (if any). • Course in 2nd "other field." • Complete 3rd course in "other field."
• 4 credits (if needed) 1st semester. • 4 credits (if needed) 2nd semester. • Complete 2nd Exam by end of year.
• 3 credits in 1st semester. • Dissertation research.
• Complete Dissertation.