Show The Graduate Center Menu



The earlier you submit your application, the more likely we'll be able to consider you for fellowships and other forms of assistance.


Although we do not require an interview for admission, it's helpful for you to speak with faculty and other students as you make your decisions about graduate study. You can call the Assistant Program Officer at 212-817-8870 to set up an appointment with the Executive Officer if you are able to visit.


All entering students are assigned a faculty advisor to help them with course selection and other Program requirements.

Financial Aid

Financial Assistance at The Graduate Center consists of two major types of aid: institutional aid, for which The Graduate Center itself is the funding source, and federal and state aid. With the exception of dissertation year awards and the Student Employment Program, most institutional aid is awarded to students based on the nomination of the doctoral program in which the student is enrolled. Institutional funding is most often in the form of research and teaching assistantships, university fellowships, and tuition stipends. Federal aid for graduate students includes Federal Work-Study, Federal Direct Loans, and Federal Perkins Loans. New York State provides the Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) for eligible graduate students who are New York State residents. In all cases, federal and state aid is based solely on financial need. Institutional aid is based on a combination of need and merit.

For an Overview of financial aid (this includes Description of new Graduate Center Fellowships for Fall 2013 incoming students), please click on the Financial Aid link

Links to other noted Fellowships are listed below

Other Important Links


The Graduate Center offers affordable housing to doctoral students, postdoctoral fellows, and members of the faculty. The eight-story complex, located at 165 East 118th Street, New York, NY 10035, provides easy access to bus and subway lines and a quick commute to The Graduate Center. For more information, visit the  Housing website.