Research Interests: Race, gender, sexuality, and American culture; 19th- and 20th-century literature; African-American literature and poetics; film studies
• Once You Go Black: Choice, Desire, and the Black American Intellectual. New York: New York University Press, 2007.
• Black Gay Man. New York University, Press 2001.
• Conjugal Union: The Body, the House and the Black American Oxford University Press, 1999..
Journal Articles/Book Chapters:
• “The Stranger’s Work.” Small Axe 13.1 (2009), pp. 90 - 97.
• “Black Sexuality Studies.” in Howard Dodson and Colin Palmer, eds., Schomburg Studies on the Black Experience: Ideology, Identity, and Assumptions. East Lansing: Michigan State University Press, 2007, pp. 179 - 205.
• “The Slave Narrative and Early Black American Literature.” in Audrey Fisch, ed., Cambridge Companion to the African American Slave Narrative. New York: Cambridge University Press, 2007, pp. 137 - 149.
• “Black Girl Lost.” in Annette Dixon, ed., Kara Walker: Pictures From Another Time. Ann Arbor: The University of Michigan Museum of Art, 2002, pp. 27 - 41.
• “Extending Queer Theory to Race and Ethnicity.” The Chronicle of Higher Education 48.49 (August 2002), p. B7.