Assistant or Associate Professor - Nursing (School of Professional Studies)
- Job Class: Faculty
- Job ID Number: 8700
- Department: School of Professional Studies
- Location: SPS: School of Professional Studies
- Closing Date: OCT 4, 2013
Faculty Vacancy Announcement
In 2003, the Board of Trustees of the City University of New York created the CUNY School of Professional Studies (SPS) with the purpose of meeting the educational needs of working adults, organizations, and employers. Since then, SPS has developed into a well-established school serving New York City's dynamic marketplace through the provision of timely, innovative, and academically rigorous programs of study designed to address new or unmet needs. Home to CUNY's first fully online undergraduate degrees and groundbreaking master's degree programs, SPS has found new ways of fulfilling CUNY's mission of access, reaching students with new modes of instruction, new courses and curricula, and new kinds of learning tailored for diverse requirements and constituencies. It has launched a dozen degrees - six bachelor's and six master's degrees - since 2006, and there are more currently in development. Enrollments have grown to over 2000 students in the credit-bearing programs, and the School has seen more growth in its non-credit offerings, with a portfolio of grant-funded programs currently accounting for more than $6 million. In addition, the School now maintains an active Alumni Association, has established the SPS Foundation, and will soon occupy its own dedicated space.
The CUNY School of Professional Studies currently seeks candidates for a tenure track position as Assistant or Associate Professor of Nursing/Associate Academic Program Director, Online Baccalaureate in Nursing (RN to BS).
The general responsibilities of the associate program director include, but are not limited to, teaching courses in the discipline; curriculum development; advisement and support of students; participation in committees and other governance structures; scholarship in the discipline and/or teaching and learning; and performance of administrative, supervisory, and other functions as assigned.
In collaboration with the Academic Program Director, the successful candidate will:
- Participate in the development and refinement of the curriculum, learning objectives and assessment measures.
- Initiate and help lead the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) accreditation process.
- Establish relationships with organizations that can contribute to the program model.
- Identify resources that can contribute to the successful retention and progression of the students.
- Teach courses in the major field.
The successful candidate should have the following knowledge, skills, and attributes:
- Earned doctorate in nursing or a related field
- NYS professional nursing license (RN) or eligible for reciprocity
- Experience with online teaching
- Experience with curriculum and course development
- Ability to communicate effectively with students for advisement and mentoring
- Ability to communicate and establish effective relationships with faculty and clinical/program partners
- Ability to collaborate with members of the School for Professional Studies
- Commitment to advance the success of an online learning environment for nursing students
Additional consideration will be given to candidates who have the above plus the following:
- Demonstrated experience with online nursing program development
- Demonstrated experience with obtaining program accreditation
Rank and salary are commensurate with experience, qualifications, and academic accomplishments.
How To Apply
***If you are unable to upload your cover application through the system, please e-mail email@example.com.Make sure to indicate which position you are applying for and that you have submitted your application online.***
An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/IRCA/Americans with Disabilities Act Employer.
The Graduate Center complies with the Clery Act and copies of its annual report on security policies and statistics are available in its Security Office.