Procedures for Academic Events in Public Spaces at the Graduate Center
The Graduate Center of the City University of New York fosters advanced graduate education, original research and scholarship, innovative university-wide programs, and vibrant public events that draw upon and contribute to the complex communities of New York City and beyond.
Members of the Graduate Center (degree programs, centers, institutes, and committees, Doctoral Students’ Council, and chartered doctoral student organizations) are entitled to request space for academic events, such as lectures, conferences, meetings, and performances. (Requests are subject to the policies and procedures stated below (see #7), and may incur charges.)
Those outside the GC community should make requests to the Office of Special Events and Events Planning (212-817-7150 or firstname.lastname@example.org).
Public Space at the Graduate Center:
Rooms C197, C198, & C201-C205
Main Floor (Lobby Level)
Elebash Recital Lobby
Elebash Recital Hall
Rooms 8301, 8304, 8400, & 8402 (Pre-set rooms)
(Classroom inventory is released to Room Reservations three weeks after the start of each semester.)
2. Hours of operation
Monday-Friday: 8:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m., (Events 9:00 a.m. – 9:30 p.m.) during the academic year, and Monday-Thursdays during selected weeks in the summer.
Saturday: 10:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m. (Full rental rates apply).
Sunday: 10:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m. (Full rental rates apply).
*Saturday and Sunday rentals require approval through Special Events.
3. Booking procedures
· All requests must be made via email to email@example.com.
· All requests for space must include the following information:
o Date of Event
o Start and Finish Times
o Name of the Event
o Program sponsoring the event
o Person responsible (name, title, phone, email. This person must be same as person requesting the booking).
o Number of expected attendees
o Preferred location (we will try to accommodate the request, but will assign appropriate space as determined).
4. Facilities and IT Audio-Visual Services
It is the responsibility of the event coordinator to contact Facilities (212-817-7730) and Audio-Visual (212-817-7330) to arrange for room set-up and AV needs. This should be done at least two weeks prior to the scheduled event. Events requiring dedicated AV technicians or a specialized set-up will be required to pay additional AV fees.
It is the responsibility of the event coordinator to contact Security (212-817-7761) whenever an event involves a controversial speaker or topic that might attract demonstrations or protests, a high profile speaker with special security concerns, or whenever an event has the potential to be overcrowded due to the popularity of the speaker or topic. This should be done at least one week prior to the event. Events requiring dedicated security personnel may incur additional security fees.
6. Food and Beverage
· Food and beverage in our public spaces must be catered through Restaurant Associates. (Extra Saturday fees apply.) Please note that deliveries of outside catering to any public space will not be accepted at the front desk.
· Food vouchers for special events must be ordered from Restaurant Associates in advance and will be capped at 60people per day between the hours of 12 noon and 2 p.m. in the Dining Commons.
· A clean-up fee will be charged if vouchers are used in a reserved, pre-set room off the Dining Commons on the 8th Floor. This charge is invoiced by Restaurant Associates.
· No food or beverage may be brought into the Gallery, Auditorium, or Recital Hall.
7. Internal usage costs that may apply for members of the GC community
· Internal usage costs are charged on weekdays for all members of the GC community when an event uses large blocks of public space or is a multi-day/multi-room event. Such fees are determined by the size of the event and hours.
· Fees (including additional charges for Audio/Visual, Security, and Facilities as appropriate) are applicable for weekend events.
Full rental fees apply when an admission or registration fee is charged. Please note: all fees collected in connection with an academic event must be deposited in the GC Business Office (212-817-7660) and disbursed in accordance with Business Office policies.
GC community will be informed of charges prior to confirmation of booking.
*Failure to pay any invoice for internal usage costs will result in loss of booking privileges for any internal events subject to internal usage costs until payment has been received.