2/1 Summary: GC Actions Regarding Executive Order on Immigration
February 1, 2017
SUMMARY OF THE ACADEMIC, LEGAL, POLITICAL AND COMMUNICATIONS ACTIONS TAKEN BY THE GRADUATE CENTER REGARDING
THE EXECUTIVE ORDER ON IMMIGRATION
LIST CURRENT AS OF FEBRUARY 1, 2017
(Please note advocacy is ongoing)
Academic support provided to the student
- Political Science Executive Officer has served as a point person on academic matters ensuring continuity with the student.
- Accommodations have been made to ensure the student’s ongoing academic engagement. Such accommodations include digital tools such as Skype.
- Provost’s office has consulted with outside counsel from the Council of International Student Advisors on options for maintaining the student’s registration and status.
- Graduate Center legal counsel has been in touch with attorneys at CUNY Citizenship Now! to ensure we are up to speed on resources and options.
- Offer of legal representation has been made to the student through Citizenship Now!
- The ACLU has been engaged through the work of Citizenship Now!
Political advocacy and communications efforts
- Letter from the President sent to Senators Schumer and Gillibrand. Acknowledged and advocacy already underway.
- Letter from the President sent to Representatives Nadler, Velazquez and Maloney.
- Faculty and student advocacy with media and elected officials.
- Participation in the Brooklyn Borough President’s press conference to bring attention to the case. Substantial media coverage generated.
- Outreach to the Governor’s counsel. Connected about our student and shared resources and Graduate Center advocacy and issue engagement.
- OpEd by President Robinson developed and placed in TheHill.com. Social media promotion underway.
- Coordination with international student services office at the Central Office to engage the State Department.
- Two joint messages from the President and Provost issued. Social media executed to broaden reach.
- Webpage developed as a repository for information related to the ban and our communications.
- Student email developed and distributed.
- Updates and OpEd featured prominently on GC homepage and CUNY Newswire.
- Social media posts directed to the President and Provost statements.
- Coordinated media relations with CUNY efforts to increase awareness and collaboration.
- Media statement shared with Graduate Center contacts to ensure awareness of efforts.
- Executed steps to ensure that all media around the student be coordinated through Communications and Marketing.
- The Board of the Graduate Center Foundation has been engaged and is actively monitoring the matter.
- Monitoring the situation for the reach of the ban for our current students and providing resources and guidance on the matter.
Messages from President Robinson and Provost Connolly, as well as resources for students, faculty and staff can be found here.
Submitted on: FEB 1, 2017
Category: General GC News | President's Office - Archive