USING CUNY TECHNOLOGY SERVICES TO WORK REMOTELY:
- All News
- USING CUNY TECHNOLOGY SERVICES TO WORK REMOTELY:
Attachment: USING CUNY TECHNOLOGY SERVICES TO WORK REMOTELY
What steps can I take to prepare to work or teach remotely if needed?
CUNY provides a variety of services and applications that can help you remain connected to colleagues and students remotely and continue to work and hold classes.
In preparation, make sure you have tested your access to the following equipment at home:
- Laptop or desktop computer.
- Microphone – this may be built into your laptop or computer, or you may use an external device such as a USB microphone or headset.
- Webcam – a camera may already be built into your laptop, but you can also use an external USB camera for video conferencing.
- Internet – either commercially provided or a wireless hotspot through your mobile phone.
- Move files you will likely need to either Dropbox or MS Office 365 for easier access, and take any training you need to use these services (links in FAQs that follow).
- Bookmark sites and applications used most often.
- Review Cybersecurity Awareness materials on securing yourself at home.
How can I get remote access to resources I’ll need?
Most CUNY applications and cloud resources, such as Blackboard
, Microsoft Office 365
, and Dropbox
can be found online on CUNY’s Technology Resources pages.
They can be accessed through your web browser.
Colleges may also be offering other remote access solutions that allow you to securely connect to the campus network. Please contact your Help Desk
for more assistance.
Where and how can I store my files in the cloud?
You can save your files in one of CUNY’s cloud file storage options to access the latest version of your files, no matter where you’re located, as long as you’re connected to the Internet. CUNY offers two files storage/collaboration tools: OneDrive in Microsoft Office 365 and Dropbox.
You can find information and training resources on using OneDrive
at CUNY’s Microsoft Office 365 for Education
site website or from Microsoft’s Office 365 Education Help Center
and Office 365 Training Center.
Microsoft’s Teams provides an addition tool to share/collaborate on projects and shared files.
You can find information and training resources on using Dropbox
at CUNY’s Dropbox site.
How can I collaborate remotely with my colleagues?
- Meet, Chat and Collaborate Online
offers several options for collaborating online:
- Teams enables an online meeting for up to 250 people. The full functionality of Teams provides for persistent chat, file storage, and collaboration.
- Skype for Business provides text chats with one or more colleagues and online meetings for up to 250 people.
- OneDrive lets you share files and collaborate on their content.
To get started, you can log in and find training modules and further information on www.cuny.edu/office365ed.
CUNY is also now working with Cisco to enable WebEx
licenses to be used by students, faculty and staff. This is a new offering that was just made available to CUNY, and CIS is working diligently with the Cisco WebEx collaboration engineers to identify the best ways to ensure broad and easy access to this cloud tool.
Other audio and video teleconferencing solutions may be available to you. Please check with your Help Desk
for more information.
Microsoft Office 365 OneDrive
2.File Sharing and Collaboration Online
let you share files and collaborate on their content online.
You can find more information on OneDrive at www.cuny.edu/office365ed.
For information on Dropbox, see cuny.edu/dropbox.
Where can I go to get more training materials, guides, or videos on how to use some of the CUNY cloud tools?
- For information regarding Microsoft Office 365, including FAQs, training materials and videos please visit: www.cuny.edu/office365ed
has provided other valuable training materials and ideas to consider or explore, including:
To claim a Dropbox
account and access training materials and FAQs, please visit: cuny.edu/dropbox
What policies does CUNY have on sharing and storing files in the cloud?
CUNY adopted the Acceptable Use of University Data in the Cloud Policy
and it should be reviewed before storing, synching, and/or sharing data in any of cloud service. This policy makes reference to the CUNY Data Classification Standard
that provides definitions and examples as to what data is Confidential, Sensitive and Public. Please take into consideration when using these tools that the University’s policies do not permit Personal Identifying Information (PII) or confidential data to be stored in the cloud. For more information and examples of what can be stored in the cloud please review Data Classification Standard.
What CUNY policies govern how and what I can use CUNY technology resources for?
CUNY policies remain applicable and enforceable even while working remotely. Compliance is especially important when employees connect with the CUNY network, applications and services using devices, wireless networks and Internet connections that are not managed by CUNY.
Please review and abide by the following CUNY policies:
- Computer Use Policy — even if you use your own devices and Internet connection, you will be accessing the CUNY network, applications and services
- Antivirus Software Policy — reduce the risk of viruses or malware spreading across the CUNY environment by keeping your antivirus software up-to-date on all devices accessing the CUNY network
- Acceptable Use of University Data in the Cloud — make sure you know what types of University information can be stored and shared using Dropbox or Microsoft Office 365 applications
- Email Auto Forwarding — CUNY generally prohibits email forwarding.
Where do I go for assistance with activating my account, resetting my password, or configuring my access?
Your help desk is the first place to go for account access and support. If you have questions, you can contact your Help Desk.
If you need assistance with your @login.cuny.edu account and the cloud services connected to that user access, please visit the CUNY Login FAQ page - https://www.cuny.edu/about/administration/offices/cis/cuny-login-faq/
Can I forward my phone calls to a number off campus or access my office voicemail remotely?
While campus and Central Office phone systems are different or configured differently, many can support ways to remotely access your calls and voicemail. Please check with your Help Desk to see what is available.
Submitted on: MAR 12, 2020
Category: Human Resources | Human Resources