Travel Advisory Policy
Travel Advisory Policy
We write to inform you about the recent New York State Employee Travel Advisory Policy regarding travel to states outside of New York.
As you likely know, on June 24, Governor Cuomo issued Executive Order 205, which ordered that individuals must quarantine for 14 days after traveling for 24 hours or longer to “restricted states.” These are states that have a positive test rate for COVID-19 of higher than 10 per 100,000 residents or higher than a 10% positivity rate over a seven-day rolling average.
The governor has also modified New York’s COVID-19 sick leave law. Employees are not eligible for paid sick leave benefits if the employee travels to a restricted state (find the list on the Department of Health website) after June 25, 2020, unless the travel was directed by the employer.
Before traveling out of state, all employees should consult the DOH website for updates. In addition, you need to be aware of new rules that pertain to state employees.
- If your job permits, you may telecommute to work during the mandated 14-day quarantine described above.
- If your job doesn’t permit you to telecommute and you traveled to a restricted state after June 25, 2020, without being directed to do so by your employer, you are not eligible for any quarantine leave. As a result, you will need to charge your leave to allotted annual leave or other “unscheduled” leave time.
- If a state is added to the Department of Health’s list of restricted states after you began your travel, you are still expected to quarantine for 14 days upon return and may telecommute to work if your job allows. If telecommuting is not an option, you need to charge appropriate annual or “unscheduled” leave accruals.
- If you are an essential employee returning from a restricted state, you are eligible to return to work in accordance with the guidance issued by the Department of Health on May 31, which is laid out in this notice.
These rules were issued to protect the health and well-being of our employees and to promote a productive work environment.
You are welcome to reach out to us at email@example.com with any questions on these policies or related matters.
Encl. State Employee Travel Advisory Policy dated July 1, 2020.
- Trip Avisory Policy - [PDF] 07.01.2020
Submitted on: JUL 9, 2020
Category: COVID-19 | HR Announcements | Human Resources