All students pursuing the Ph.D. in Biology must:
- Complete at least 60 credits of approved graduate course work.
- Pass a First Examination given at the end of the first academic year in the Program (June)
- Pass a Second Examination (thesis proposal)
- Teach at least one semester at the college level
- Conduct original research, write and defend a dissertation, present a public seminar on the subject of the dissertation
Please see the Biology Program Student Handbook (PDF) for additional details on the program's exam, teaching and dissertation requirements.
Students must also satisfy the additional requirements for their chosen subprogram.