My research focuses on atmosphere-land-ocean interactions across spatial and temporal scales, coastal biogeochemical cycles, impacts of environmental change on natural resources, ecological processes and ecosystem services. I am particularly interested in the impacts and feedbacks of coastal urbanization, increased CO2, nutrient enrichment, sea level rise, and changes in the frequency and severity of weather and climate extremes. A central aspect in many of my research projects is the integration of enhanced remote sensing tools with sophisticated models for assessing coastal vulnerability and predicting coastal ecosystem responses, feedbacks, and resilience to future pressures.
- Tzortziou M., Zeri C., E. Dimitriou, Y. Ding, R. Jaffé, E. Anagnostou, E. Pitta, A. Mentzafou, 2015. "Colored dissolved organic matter dynamics and anthropogenic influences in a major transboundary river and its coastal wetland". Limnology and Oceanography. doi/10.1002/lno.10092.
- Tzortziou M., J. R Herman, Z. Ahmad, C.P. Loughner, N. Abuhassan, A. Cede, 2014, "Atmospheric NO2 Dynamics and Impact on Ocean Color Retrievals in Urban Nearshore Regions", Journal of Geophysical Research-Oceans. DOI: 10.1002/2014JC009803.
- Tzortziou M., J. R Herman, C. P Loughner, A.Cede, N. Abuhassan, S. Naik, 2013, "Spatial and temporal variability of ozone and nitrogen dioxide over a major urban estuarine ecosystem", Journal of Atmospheric Chemistry, Special Issue PINESAP, DISCOVER-AQ, DOI: 10.1007/s10874-013-9255-8.
- Tzortziou M., C. Osburn, and P.Neale, 2007. “Photobleaching of dissolved organic material from a tidal marsh-estuarine system of the Chesapeake Bay”, Photochemistry and Photobiology, 83: 782-792. DOI: 10.1111 ⁄ j.1751-1097.2007.00142.x (Article appeared on the Journal's front cover page).
- Fishman J, LT Iraci, (co-authors in alphabetical order), J Al-Saadi, P Bontempi, K Chance, F Chavez, M Chin, P Coble, C Davis, P DiGiacomo, D Edwards, A Eldering, J Goes, J Herman, C Hu, D Jacob, C Jordan, S R Kawa, R Key, X Liu, S Lohrenz, A Mannino, V Natraj, D Neil, J Neu, M Newchurch, K Pickering, J Salisbury, H Sosik, A Subramaniam, M Tzortziou, J Wang, M Wang, 2012, “The United States' Next Generation of Atmospheric Composition and Coastal Ecosystem Measurements: NASA's Geostationary Coastal and Air Pollution Events (GEO APE) Mission”, Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society. DOI:10.1175/BAMS-D-11-00201.1 (Article appeared on the Journal's front cover page).