Dr. Yuri Gorokhovich is a physical geologist who combines geologic and geographic methods, including Geographic Information Systems (GIS), for the assessment, modeling, and mapping of current and historical natural hazards and disasters. His current research is focused on investigating long-term scale hazards (e.g. sea-level rise and its consequences on coastal vulnerability in Alaska, deglaciation processes (in Greenland and Hudson Valley) affecting climate change, etc.) and short-term scale disasters (earthquakes, hurricanes, floods, etc.), specifically understanding vulnerability and risk components, finding and quantifying physical and other related conditions of hazards and disasters; expanding applications of new data and methods in studying and modeling contemporary and historical environments turning hazards into disasters. The results of his work on natural hazard topics include 20 peer-reviewed papers in professional journals and five peer-reviewed book chapters or conference proceedings.
- Gorokhovich, Y.A., M. Nelson, T. Eaton, J. Wolk-Stanley, G. Sen. 2018. Geochronology and geomorphology of the Jones Point glacial landform in Lower Hudson Valley (New York): Insight into deglaciation processes since the Last Glacial Maximum. Geomorphology, 321, 87-102
- Gorokhovich, Y., E.A. Machado, L.I. Giron Melgar, M. Gahremani. 2016. Improving landslide hazard and risk mapping in Guatemala using terrain aspect. Natural Hazards, 81(2), 869-886
- Gorokhovich, Y. Turbidity. 2016. In: M.J. Kennish (ed.), Encyclopedia of Estuaries, Springer-Verlag, 720-721
- Gorokhovich, Y., Papadopoulos, N., Soupios, P., Barsukov, P. 2014. Application of Geographic Information Systems, Ground Penetrating Radar and Transient Electromagnetic Methods for Locating Water Supply Structures at the ancient site of Aptera in Crete. Boletín Geológico y Minero, 125 (3), 273-284
- Doocy S., E. Russel, Y. Gorokhovich, T. Kirsch. 2013. Disaster Preparedness and Humanitarian Response in Flood and Landslide-Affected Communities in Eastern Uganda. Disaster Prevention and Management, 22 (4), 326 - 339
- S. Agrawal, Y Gorokhovich, S Doocy.2013. Risk factors for injuries in landslide- and flood-affected populations in Uganda. Prehosp Disast Med. 28(4), 1-9
- Gorokhovich Y., A. Leiserowitz, D. Dugan. 2013. Impact of sea-level rise and coastal erosion on subsistence resources in Northwest Alaska. Journal of Coastal Research, 30 (1), 158–169
- Gorokhovich Y. 2013. Santorini Eruption. In: Ed. P. Bobrowsky, “Encyclopedia of Natural Hazards”, Springer-Verlag, 884-895.