Dr. Johnny Luo is an Associated Professor in the Department of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences (EAS) and NOAA-CREST Institute at City College of New York, CUNY. He received his BS from Peking University in 1997 and Ph.D. from Columbia University in 2003, both in Atmospheric Sciences. After spending several years as a postdoctoral scholar and then a Research Scientist at Colorado State University, he joined the faculty of City College of New York in 2007 as an Assistant Professor and was promoted to Associated Professor with early tenure in 2013. Dr. Luo is an atmospheric scientist specializing in satellite remote sensing of clouds and storms. He developed new methods that use a combination of satellite-based passive and active remote sensing data to understand convective cloud dynamics. He also participates in airborne field campaigns flying in and around storms to study convective dynamics and transport of pollutants. His teaching interests include atmospheric physics, satellite meteorology and statistical data analysis of climate data. He is an editor of Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan and a guest associate editor of Journal of Geophysical Research.
- Luo, Z. J., J. Jeyaratnam, S. Iwasaki, H. Takahashi and R. Anderson, 2014: Convective vertical velocity and cloud internal vertical structure: An A-Train perspective, Geophys. Res. Letts., 41, doi:10.1002/2013GL058922.
- Takahashi, H. and Z. J. Luo (corresponding author), 2014: Characterizing Tropical Overshooting Convection from Joint Analysis of CloudSat and Geostationary Satellite Observations, J. Geophys. Res. Atmos., 119, 112-121, doi:10.1002/2013JD020972.
- Luo, Z. J. , D. Kley, R. H. Johnson, G. Y. Liu, S. Nawrath, and H. G. J. Smit, 2012: Influence of sea surface temperature on humidity and temperature in the outflow of tropical deep convection, J. Climate, 25,1340-1348.
- Luo, Z. J. , G. Y. Liu, and G. L. Stephens, 2010: Use of A-Train data to estimate convective buoyancy and entrainment rate, Geophys. Res. Letts. 37, L09804, doi 10.1029/2010GL042904.
- Luo, Z., G. L. Stephens, K. A. Emanuel, D. G. Vane, N. Tourville, and J. M. Haynes 2008: On the use of CloudSat and MODIS data for estimating hurricane intensity. IEEE Geoscience Remote Sensing Lett., Vol. 5, No. 1, 13-16.