As a practicing poet, and scholar, I have a special interest in postcolonial writings and contemporary poetry and poetics. These areas are tied in with my ongoing reflections on autobiographical writing, feminism, Indian Ocean cosmopolitanisms, transnational migration, trauma, memory and identity.
- Atmospheric Embroidery (TriQuarterly Books/ Northwestern University Press, 2018)
- Name me a Word: Indian Writers Reflect on Writing (Yale University Press, 2018)
- 'Phenomenology of Passage' PMLA (special issue on `Literature in the World’) Fall 2016
- Debt, Special issue of WSQ (Women’s Studies Quarterly) co-edited with Rosalind Petchesky, Published, May 2014
- 'What Use is Poetry?' (Address to the Yale Political Union, April 23, 2013) published in World Literature Today, September/October 2013
- Birthplace with Buried Stones (TriQuarterly Books/ Northwestern University Press, 2013)
- Poetics of Dislocation (University of Michigan Press, Poets on Poetry series, 2009).
- Quickly Changing River (TriQuarterly Books/ Northwestern University Press, 2008).
- Indian Love Poems, editor. (Everyman's Library/Knopf, 2005).
- Raw Silk (TriQuarterly Books/Northwestern University Press, 2004).
- Illiterate Heart (TriQuarterly Books/Northwestern University Press, 2002). Winner of the PEN Open Book Award.
- Manhattan Music (San Francisco: Mercury House, 1997).
- The Shock of Arrival: Reflections on Postcolonial Experience (Boston: Southend Press, 1996).
- Fault Lines (New York: Feminist Press at the City University of New York, 1993; Penguin India, 1994). Publishers Weekly Best Books of 1993; new expanded edition with preface by Ngugi Wa Thiong’o, 2003.
- Nampally Road (San Francisco: Mercury House, 1991); new edition with preface by Githa Hariharan (Hyderabad, Orient Blackswan, 2012).
- Women in Romanticism: Mary Wollstonecraft, Dorothy Wordsworth and Mary Shelley (London: Macmillan, 1989/Lanham. Md.: Barnes and Noble, 1989).
- House of a Thousand Doors (Washington DC: Three Continents Press, 1988).
- The Poetic Self: Towards a Phenomenology of Romanticism (New Delhi: Arnold-Heinemann, 1979; paperback 1983; Atlantic Highlands, N.J.: Humanities Press, 1981).