Active Research Projects
Current research projects in the Second Language Acquisition Lab:
- First and Second Generation Bilinguals: an ERP study
- Eye-tracking and Pupillometry in Second Language Acquisition and Bilingualism
- The Development of Language and Literacy in Bilingual Students with low Native Language Literacy
- (In)definiteness in Second Language Acquisition
Ph.D. dissertations supervised
1. Singhapreecha, Pornsiri (1999). The Acquisition of Case, Tense, and Agreement Features: A Study of Thai Learners of English.
2. Pelc, Linda (2001). L1 lexical, morphology and morphosyntactic attrition in Greek-English bilinguals
3. August, Gail (2001). The road to second language reading: How do we get there?
4. Kessler, Kathy (2003)
. ERP correlates of word order and morphosyntactic phenomena in adult native speakers and second language learners of English.
5. Gabriele, Alison (2005). The acquisition of aspect in a second language: A bidirectional study of learners of English and Japanese.
6. Szupica-Pyrzanowski, Malgorzata (2009).
Morphological and phonological contributions to the production of verbal inflection in adult L2 learners and patients with agrammatic aphasia.
7. Chi-Chen Bredeche (2011). The Use of -LE by L1 Chinese Speakers and the Acquisition of -LE in L2 Chinese.
8. Garrison-Fletcher, Leigh (2012). The Acquisition of L2 Reading Comprehension: The Relative Contribution of Linguistic Knowledge and Existing Reading Ability Learners.
9. Bonner, Timothy (2013). The Influence of “Extra-Syntactic” Factors on Second Language Inflections: A Systematic Study of L2 Inflectional Variability in Mandarin Second Language Learners of English.
10. Chan, Lionel (2013). Heritage Speakers’ Acquisition of Clitic Placement in Standard Italian.
11. Nagano, Marisa (2015). Interpretation of Overt Pronouns In L1 and L2 Japanese
12. McSweeney, Michelle (2016). Literacies of Bilingual Youth: A profile of bilingual academic, social, and txt literacies.
13. Cho, Euna (2017). Effects of multimedia instruction on L2 acquisition of high-level, low-frequency English vocabulary words
14. Heidrick, Ingrid (2017) First and Second Generation NYC bilinguals: What is the role of input in their collocational knowledge of English and Spanish?
15. von Wertz, Sloane (2017) Is It All Relative? Relative Pitch and L2 Lexical Tone Perception/Tone Language Comprehension by Adult Tone and Non-Tone Language Speakers
16. Maayan Barkan (2018) The Pragmatic Strategy of Main-Clause Omission in Japanese: Its Contrast with Hebrew, and Its Learnability
17. Jennifer Hamano (2018) Mandarin Assessment in Chinese-English Bilingual Pre-Schoolers
18. Christen Madsen (2018). Decentering the Monolingual: A psychophysiological study of heritage speaker language processing
19. Ian Phillips (2018). Syntactic Processing and Cross-Linguistic Structural Priming in Heritage Spanish Speakers and Late Bilinguals: Effects of Exposure to L2 English on Processing Illicit Structures in L1 Spanish
• Second Language Acquisition and Bilingualism
• Seminars in Linguistics: Neurolinguistic Studies of Sentence Processing and Bilingualism
• Research Methods in 2nd Language Acquisition