The DPH is an advanced graduate degree in public health for students interested in becoming public health researchers, teachers, practitioners, and managers in New York City and around the world. The mission of the CUNY DPH program is to contribute new knowledge to understanding the multi-level determinants of population health and to assist communities, governments, and organizations to conduct research and interventions that promote health and prevent disease in populations.
Interested applicants, please visit the CUNY Graduate School of Public Health and Health Policy
DPH Core Competencies
- Identify, develop, evaluate and recommend policy and programmatic interventions to improve population health at individual, community, government and country levels based on empirical evidence of social, political, cultural, biological, economic, historical, behavioral, environmental, and global factors in health and disease.
- Assess the mechanisms and pathways by which factors influence individual and population health.
- Design and conduct etiological, intervention, policy, implementation science and other empirical studies that contribute to new knowledge about population health
- Synthesize and apply methods, theories and data from multiple disciplines to understand and solve population health issues.
- Generate, translate, communicate, and disseminate population health evidence to diverse audiences
- Demonstrate leadership skills to facilitate the goals of population health research and practice.
- Design and deliver innovative educational experiences that promote learning about population health in academic and practice-based settings
- Implement professional and organizational ethical guidelines in population health research and practice.
- Secure resources to conduct population health research and practice.
- Community, Society and Health
- Environmental and Occupational Health
- Health Policy and Management
Qualified applicants in any track may also apply to an optional concentration in Public Health Nutrition or Maternal, Child, Reproductive and Sexual Health (MCRSH).
The CUNY Graduate School of Public Health and Health Policy is accredited as a School of Public Health from the Council on Education for Public Health.