Show The Graduate Center Menu


All applications are collected and processed by the Office of Admissions prior to being reviewed by the Theatre and Performance Program's Admissions and Awards Committee. Complete instructions for applying to The Graduate Center and the online application are available through the Admissions website. More general information about The Graduate Center can be found on the Prospective Students webpage.

For some program-specific information about admissions, see our Guidelines below and read our Letter to Prospective Students from the Theatre Program Executive Officer.

For more information about program policies and procedures, see the Program Handbook.



The application deadline for the Theatre and Performance Program can be found on the Admissions website. The earlier you submit your application, the more likely we'll be able to consider you for fellowships and other forms of assistance.
Although we do not require an interview for admission, it's helpful for you to speak with faculty and other students as you make your decisions about graduate study. If you are able to visit The Graduate Center during the admissions process, please call the Theatre and Performance Program Assistant Program Officer at 212-817-8870 to set up an appointment with the Executive Officer. The Program also hosts an annual Prospective Student Open House during the fall semester.
All entering students will meet with the Executive Office and be assigned a faculty advisor to help them with course selection and other program requirements.
Financial Aid
Financial Assistance at The Graduate Center consists of two major types of aid: institutional aid, for which The Graduate Center itself is the funding source, and federal and state aid.
With the exception of dissertation year awards and the Student Employment Program, most institutional aid is awarded to students based on the nomination of the doctoral program in which the student is enrolled. Institutional funding is most often in the form of research and teaching assistantships, university fellowships, and tuition stipends. Institutional aid is based on a combination of need and merit.
Federal aid for graduate students includes Federal Work-Study, Federal Direct Loans, and Federal Perkins Loans. New York State provides the Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) for eligible graduate students who are New York State residents. In all cases, federal and state aid is based solely on financial need.

For an overview of financial aid, including a description of the five-year Graduate Center Fellowships for incoming students, please visit the Financial Aid website.
Other noted fellowships are listed below.


The Graduate Center offers affordable housing to doctoral students, postdoctoral fellows, and members of the faculty. The eight-story complex, located at 165 East 118th Street provides easy access to bus and subway lines and a quick commute to The Graduate Center. For more information, visit the Housing website.
Other Important Links