DGSC & UESA
The Doctoral and Graduate Students’ Council is the sole policy-making body representing students in doctoral and master’s programs at the Graduate Center.
The Doctoral and Graduate Students' Council is located in the Robert E. Gilleece Student Center on the fifth floor. The main office is Room 5495; telephone: 212.817.7888 or 212.817.7845; email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Doctoral and Graduate Students’ Council and its officers are charged with representing student interests before the administration and external bodies.
In addition to informal and ongoing communications, the DGSC officers meet with members of Graduate Center administration to report activities and exchange information.
Students may have issues presented by their DGSC representatives or the DGSC Executive Committee before the Doctoral and Graduate Students’ Council, or can personally address the Council by requesting to be put on the DGSC agenda for an upcoming meeting. This may, in turn, result in discussion or actions taken within the DGSC or between the DGSC and the administration.
The DGSC members also act as advocates for graduate student interests at the Board of Trustees, University Student Senate, University Faculty Senate, New York State Assembly, the Mayor’s Office, and with Graduate Center administration.
Program Student Associations, such as the Urban Education Student Association (UESA), are program student governments which the DGSC recognizes as the official voice of students in their programs. Officially recognized PSAs gain:
- recognition as the official policymaking body for students in their respective programs under the authority of the DGSC as the sole policymaking body representing students in doctoral and master’s programs at The Graduate Center of The City University of New York
- resources and consultation regarding governance and Graduate Center administration
- financial services (deposits and control of funds) via program allocation lines
- web resources, including OpenCUNY
- use of VoteNet for student program elections (in March-May)