Fall Enrollment: Application due April 15
Spring Enrollment: Application due November 1
In order to be eligible for admission, applicants must have completed a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university or its international equivalent.
In addition, applicants must present evidence of previous coursework or professional experience in one of the following two areas:
1) Programming, quantitative data analysis, and/or web development, as evidenced by:
- A transcript showing a minimum of 15 credits of undergraduate or graduate coursework in computer science with a B (3.0) or better average; or
- A graduation certificate from an accredited college or university showing completion of a program or series of courses in programming, data analysis, web development, or app development (graduation certificates from nationally recognized coding academies may also be considered); or
- A minimum of one year of professional experience in software development, data analysis, web development, app development, or related areas as described in a CV (at least one recommendation letter must speak to this professional experience).
2) Design and/or other creative work in visual media, as shown by a portfolio containing samples of the applicant’s creative work in any of the following areas:
- Graphic design, web design, user experience design, digital art, software art, product design, motion graphics, digital video and film, or related digital media.
Applicants may also submit the following:
- An academic transcript showing a minimum of 15 credits of undergraduate coursework in computer-assisted design or digital media creation with a B (3.0) or better average;
- A graduation certificate from an accredited college or university showing completion of a program or series of courses in design, digital media creation, or web development (graduation certificates from nationally recognized coding academies may also be considered).
Applicants must submit the following materials:
- A $75 non-refundable application fee: The application fee is waived for United States Armed Services Veterans, and McNair Scholars.
- An application statement. Prospective students must submit an application statement through the Graduate Center's online application system.
- Higher Education transcripts: Transcripts must be submitted from each college or university attended even if you did not complete a degree or did not enroll in courses in your current field. International applicants who submit transcripts not issued in English must also include a certified English transcript accompanying the transcript. (Graduation certificates from nationally recognized coding academies may also be submitted.)
- A Curriculum Vitae: Applicants must submit a CV showing academic degrees, professional experience, or record of personal creative work relevant to the program (design, programming, data analysis, web development).
- Two letters of recommendation: Please provide the email address and contact information for at least two academic or professional references who can appraise your academic or professional achievement and promise. The letters of recommendation must be submitted by the admmissions deadline
- A Portfolio (Optional): Applicants can submit a portfolio containing samples of their creative work in graphic design, web design, user experience design, digital art, software art, product design, motion graphics, digital video and film, or related digital media.
- International Applicants - English Proficiency: Applicants must submit scores from either the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) unless they have a post-secondary degree from an institution in which the language of instruction is English-only and located in a country that recognizes English as an Official Language.
Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores are optional but may be submitted at the applicant's discretion.
Please consult the Graduate Center website for upcoming admissions deadlines and requirements. Prospective students may apply using these application instructions and forms. International applicants must review the International Students page for additional requirements and assistance.