Whether you're seeking your first job or trying to explore a career change, internships can be a valuable way to gain experience and make career decisions. Internships enable students to earn credits while gaining valuable academic and/or professional experience. These internships provide you with the opportunity to apply what you’ve learned in class in the working environment. They also help to build your professional network, and to expand your skill sets. Students can set up an appointment with the Office of Career Planning and Professional Development for guidance.
MALS students who wish to participate in an internship for credit must enroll in course MALS 73800.
Requirements of the Internship Course (MALS 73800)
- Students must apply for the internship the semester prior to enrolling.
- The deadline for students to apply for the internship course is the start of the semester.
- Students must submit a formal letter or email of an internship offer from the proposed employer via email to email@example.com and to the Executive Officer. The proposals will then be reviewed by the department.
- Candidates will be informed about the outcome of their application in a timely fashion. Successful applicants will then be permitted to enroll in the course, once the proper paperwork is completed and filed.
- A minimum of 140 hours of the internship must be completed within the semester that the student enrolls (i.e. if the student enrolls in the internship course during Spring, the internship must be completed during the semester).
- If a student wants to do an unpaid internship during the summer, the executive officer has to approve this.
- The internship must be unpaid.
- The student must meet with the instructor (typically the Executive Officer) on a regular basis and together with the instructor identifies a series of appropiate assignments for the course.
Office of Career Planning and Professional Development at the Graduate Center
Major Job Boards
Sites Listing Only Internships
Further questions about the intership course may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.