Arrest for Trespass and Office Theft
- Arrest for Trespass and Office Theft
On Tuesday, 8/12/08, at 10:20AM and 10:25AM, an unidentified male approached two staff members in their offices. He asked them for money using the pretext that he needed cab fare to visit his pregnant girlfriend who was beaten by her father. Security was notified and stopped a person fitting the description in the lobby. The suspect was questioned and identified and it was determined that he had stolen a cell phone from an unlocked, unattended office on the 4th floor. NYPD was called and this individual was arrested for criminal trespass and petit larceny.
Further investigation revealed that this person had contact with other members of The Graduate Center community who found his behavior suspicious but did not contact Security. You should be aware that there are professional thieves who enter midtown buildings for the sole purpose of stealing property from unattended offices. You should take the following precautions to protect yourself from becoming a victim of this crime:
- Call Security immediately (x7777) to report crimes or suspicious activity.
- Call Security (x7777) and Police (911) if immediate danger is suspected or if you are threatened.
- Lock office doors, desks and cabinets while offices are unoccupied.
- Do not bring unnecessary valuable items on campus.
- Do not leave purses, briefcases or laptops unattended.
- Be aware of suspicious persons. Know your co-workers and question any strangers, delivery persons or repair persons.
Submitted on: AUG 12, 2008