New Student Emergency Fund
- New Student Emergency Fund
It is with great pleasure that the Graduate Center announces the establishment of The Carroll and Milton Petrie Student Emergency Fund. The fund, made possible by generous support from The Carroll and Milton Petrie Foundation, provides quick-response grants to Graduate Center students who are facing short-term financial emergencies.
With the fund, the Graduate Center seeks to assist students to complete their education, rather than take a leave of absence or withdraw from school.
“We are grateful for this generous support — $150,000 over three years — from The Carroll and Milton Petrie Foundation,” said Joy Connolly, provost and senior vice president of the Graduate Center. “Life can be unpredictable, and we are deeply committed to helping our students complete their programs so that they can reap the many benefits of a graduate degree.”
Any matriculated student in good standing, who is experiencing a current and unforeseen financial emergency, is eligible to apply for emergency fund assistance.
These are examples of eligible emergencies:
• Overdue utilities bills and shut-off notices;
• Rent in arrears, at risk for eviction;
• Housing assistance for homelessness;
• Medical and dental bills for uninsured, non-elective procedures;
• Destruction of living quarters, due to fire or other natural disaster;
• Theft of computer, books, clothing, or other essential belongings;
• Assistance in paying for food, transportation, and basic necessities due
to recent financial difficulty;
• Emergency child care for legal dependents; and
• Travel home for illness or death in the immediate family
Click here to learn more and apply for these grants.
Submitted on: DEC 5, 2017
Category: General GC News | Grants | President's Office | Provost's Office