Additional Questions?

Feel Free to fill out the contact us form


Housing FAQs

Who is eligible to rent in the Graduate Center Apartments complex?

All matriculated graduate students at The Graduate Center, the Craig Newmark Graduate School of Journalism at CUNY, and other CUNY campuses are eligible. Students need to be in good academic and financial standing as well as progressing toward a degree.

How long is the license, and how is it different from a lease?

The license has a 12-month term. It functions like a lease, except that a renter must maintain eligibility in order for it to remain in effect.

How long can I live there?

Licenses may be renewed annually for students who remain in good academic and financial standing.

How do you decide whom to accept?

All eligible students will be accepted on a first-come-first-served basis. Those students who have been accepted must sign the license agreement and make the necessary deposit.

What deposits are required?

Two-months' rent is required at the signing of the license–-one as a refundable security deposit and the other as the first month’s rent.

What utilities are included in the rent?

Heat and water are included; electricity, telephone, and cable service will be billed separately.

Do I need a credit check or references to become eligible?

No. The only initial eligibility factor is your status as a student in good standing and progressing toward a degree.

Are the apartments furnished?

Yes. Each bedroom will have a bed, mattress, dresser, desk, and chair. The common area will have a kitchen table, chairs, and lounge furniture. The kitchen includes a stovetop, microwave, refrigerator, sink, and cabinets. There are no dishes, linens, pots, pans, or cutlery.

Can I choose my roommates?

Two-, three-, and four-bedroom units will be occupied by individual students. Groups of students who want to share units may do so upon request. Of course, all must be eligible and have been selected for residence.

Can my spouse/partner and/or children live in the residence?

Yes. Students with spouses, partners, and/or children must rent entire units. These will be studios or one- or two-bedroom units.

Does the building have a live-in superintendent?

Yes. A superintendent will have 24/7 responsibilities to respond to facility, maintenance and mechanical issues.

What if I don’t have anyone specific to live with?

Individual students may license an entire unit or may license a bedroom in a multi-bedroom unit. If you license a bedroom in a multi-bedroom unit, the other occupants of the unit will be assigned by the Graduate Center.

May I sublet my license?

No. Subletting is a violation of the license agreement.

Is smoking allowed in my unit?

No. The entire facility is smoke free, including terraces, the rooftop garden, and the first-floor lounge.

Can I have pets or animals in my unit?

No. Animals of any kind are not allowed in the facility except as assistance for the disabled.

Is there on-site parking?

No. All that is available is street parking.

What if my roommates don’t pay their rent?

Each student is living on a separate license. You are only responsible for your own payment each month.

What happens after you receive my application?

Your application will be placed on a waiting list. You will receive an email reply with additional instructions and will be contacted by the GC Housing Office as vacancies become available.

Does the residence have a security guard?

Yes. There is an assigned guard 24/7.

Does the building have security cameras?

Yes. There are security cameras located both within the building as well as in front of the building.

May I have packages accepted on my behalf?

Yes. As a resident you may make prior arrangements with the security desk to receive packages on your behalf.

How close is public transportation located?

There are subways and buses located two blocks from the residence building. In addition, the security desk has telephone numbers for taxi pick-up.