Bursar Office

The Office of the Bursar aims to provide exceptional, efficient, and responsive services to the Graduate Center campus community and external organizations in supporting the educational pursuits of our diverse and highly talented students. We also strive to adhere to the College and University Cash Accountability policies.

Our core responsibilities include advising students on their financial obligations relating to the Graduate Center, provision of billing and invoicing, management of tuition and fees, distribution of paychecks, timely processing of refunds, and guidance on payment options and fiscal practices.

Hours of Operation

The Office of the Bursar is open for in-person service Monday - Friday, 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

All inquiries can be sent to bursar@gc.cuny.edu.

  • Provide guidance towards establishing appropriate fiscal practices.
  • Provide accurate electronic student billing via CUNYfirst Student Center and ensure timely third-party invoicing. 
  • Help students meet their financial obligations by providing information on all available payment options.
  • Collect and process tuition and fee payments accurately.
  • Maintain accurate student financial records.
  • Manage the timely processing of student refunds, including nonresident alien student refunds via New York State/PayServ. 
  • Manage the timely and accurate issuing of 1098-T and 1042-S tax forms.
  • Accurately distribute employee paychecks.

How can we help you?

Doctoral tuition charges are based on a student's “level,” which is determined by a combination of the number of graduate credits completed (including, in the case of transfer students, credits accepted by the student's degree program and the Registrar) and specific academic accomplishments. This rate is also impacted by the student's residency status.

Master’s students at The Graduate Center who are residents of New York State and registered for a minimum of 12 credits per semester will pay a flat fee for tuition. Out-of-state residents and students taking less than 12 credits will be charged on a per-credit basis.

Tuition rates may vary depending on the program and year of entry.

See detailed tuition and fees information

The Graduate Center accepts a variety of payment methods, including online payments via credit card or e-check, or in-person/mailed payments via cash, check or money order.

Students can also enroll in a tuition payment plan through Nelnet, or opt to pay via a third party.

See detailed payment options and deadlines

Please contact your college of employment for more information on your eligibility and the submission process. CUNY Employee Tuition Waivers must be received by the first day of class.

Learn more about Tuition Waivers »

You must withdraw from your classes prior to the first day of the semester to avoid tuition and fee drop charges and obtain a refund. Any student that does not officially withdraw from classes prior to the start of the term will be charged tuition and fees based upon the University’s academic calendar.

See the Graduate Center's Tuition Policies for detailed information on refunds and withdrawals.

Important notes:

  • Fees (student activities fees, technology fees, Academic Excellence Fees, etc.) are not refundable once classes have officially started.
  • To ensure the timely arrival of your refund check, your correct, current address (including your apartment number) must be on file. If you move, please make sure to update your records with the Registrar’s Office. You are also highly encouraged to enroll in direct deposit to ensure the fastest receipt of refunds. 
  • It can take two to three weeks for your refund to process.
  • Additional fees may be incurred if you make changes to your registration status after the semester begins

What is Form 1098-T?

The IRS Form 1098-T is your tuition statement. It indicates the total amount you paid for tuition and fees for the entire calendar year. You can learn more about this form on CUNY’s financial aid website

Am I Eligible to Receive This Form?

If you’ve made out-of-pocket payments toward your tuition for a particular calendar year, you are eligible to receive this form. However, you will not be eligible for a 1098-T for a particular calendar year if you have either:

  • Received grants, scholarships, or third-party payments that meet or exceed your total tuition amount for the entire calendar year, or
  • Made payments during a different calendar year.

How Do I Access This Form?

Access and print your 1098-T form directly from your CUNYfirst account by following these steps:

  1. Log in to CUNYfirst.
  2. Select "Student Center".
  3. Select “Financial Account” and select "1098-T" on the left menu.
  4. Turn off your pop-up blocker to allow the report to appear.
  5. "No Data Available" will appear next to the year if you are not eligible for a 1098-T form for that year.

Nonresident alien students who received a fellowship or scholarship to pay their tuition and fees will receive a 1042-S tax form. The Office of the Bursar distributes this form by email to eligible students at the end of March each year.

After you register for courses, the CUNYfirst system will generate an official tuition statement called an eBill. (Please note: you will not receive a hard copy in the mail). Statements are generated every semester of enrollment and contain:

  • Tuition, fees, and other charges
  • Student payments, including those made in person and online
  • Financial aid payments, including those from federal, state, or sponsor payers
  • Anticipated aid (financial aid that has been authorized but is pending disbursement)
  • Your class schedule

Access your student financial eBill by following these steps:

  1. Log in to CUNYfirst.
  2. Select Student Center.
  3. Under the Finances section, select the institution and click on the drop-down menu where it says “other financials.”
  4. From that drop-down menu, select “eBill.” Turn off your pop-up blocker to allow the report to appear.

Your eBill is not proof of payment for education tax credits/tax filings. The appropriate form for this purpose is the 1098-T. Furthermore, the eBill is not a substitute for a transcript or enrollment verification if such a document is required for scholarships, medical coverage, loan deferments, jury duty, car insurance, etc. The eBill does not contain course grades or GPA either.


If you don’t see your question answered here, please contact us at bursar@gc.cuny.edu. Please include your CUNYfirst emplID# in your email.

Log in to CUNYfirst and select Student Center. Click on the Finances tab and scroll down to the current semester to view your bill.

Note that some fees may not post immediately, so you should check again the next day if the bill is not showing up.

Credit cards can be used to make payments online in CUNYFirst only. Card payments are not accepted at the Bursar’s Office window.

Learn more about paying your tuition via credit card »

You may pay online by e-check, which electronically debits your checking account. There is no fee for this service.

Learn more about paying your tuition via e-check »

Payment plan options are available for the fall and spring terms. Enrollment in the payment plan allows you to set up monthly payments with a credit/debit card or with electronic check. The payment plan enrollment fee is $25. There is a 2.65% service fee for each credit card installment payment.

Learn more about payment plans via Nelnet »

As long as your financial aid award is reflected on your CUNYfirst account and covers your entire bill, you are not required to make a payment.

Make sure you’ve accepted your award on CUNYfirst.

Learn more about receiving fellowship funding »

If you need additional assistance with your fellowship award, please contact the Office of Fellowships and Financial Aid.

If you pay in person, a receipt will be generated by the cashiering system and given to you at the time of payment. You should check the receipt to make sure your name and amount paid are correct.

If you pay online or through the payment plan, an email will be sent to you confirming the payment. This is your only receipt.

In accordance with University policy, a Bursar hold (BUR) will be placed on a student’s account until all balances are paid in full.

If a BUR hold was placed on your account, you cannot: 

  • Register for a future term
  • Receive your diploma or other official documentation

BUR holds are not cleared automatically when you pay. This is a manual process. While we are more flexible during times of registration, holds are cleared the following day after you make the payment. Please email us at bursar@gc.cuny.edu for clarification.

If bills remain unpaid for more than one term, the Graduate Center reserves the right to forward your account to a collection agency. Once an account is referred to a collection agency, you will be responsible for what is owed to the Graduate Center plus all collection costs.

If your account has been delinquent (past due) for more than one term, the Graduate Center will turn it over to a CUNY-designated collection agency. Before this occurs, we will bill you multiple times to remind you of your obligation. We will also bill you immediately prior to sending the account to collection to arrange for payment by a particular date.

Once your account has been remitted to a collection agency, it cannot be settled at the Graduate Center. You must pay the collection agency directly. The amount due to the collection agency will include your original debt with the Graduate Center and approximate fees of 14% or more of the balance due to the Graduate Center.

Before you call a collection agency, please email the Office of the Bursar at bursar@gc.cuny.edu for more information about your collection agency debt.

You can see what kind of hold is on your account by looking at the “Campus Personal Information” section in CUNYfirst.

If you have a BIC hold on your student account, your debt is with CUNY's primary collection agency. You should contact:

  • ICR - Immediate Credit Recovery, Inc.
  • Website: www.icrcollect.com 
  • Phone #: (800) 234-4271

If you have a BAZ hold on your student account, your debt is with CUNY's secondary collection agency. You should contact:


Our Team

Jennifer Pringle

Finance Manager, Bursar Office

Allan Tsang

Bursar Specialist, Bursar Office

Maribel Rodriguez

Bursar Specialist, Bursar Office

Kaman Ng

Bursar Specialist, Bursar Office