The Business Office, led by Vice President for Finance and Administration Kenneth Tirino, oversees the Graduate Center’s fiscal management, including all accounting, reporting, and budgeting.
- Provide financial management leadership for, and influence the strategic direction of, the Graduate Center by ensuring that relevant, accurate, and timely information and strategic advice is provided to decision-makers.
- Ensure the prudent use of Graduate Center resources by setting and maintaining financial management policies and procedures and ensuring the Graduate Center adheres to both CUNY and state policies and procedures.
- Serve as an effective financial steward for the Graduate Center by protecting and preserving its assets through prudent financial risk management, maintenance of accurate financial records, and compliance with regulations.
- Serve as a catalyst to instill a sound financial management mindset throughout the Graduate Center and act as a business partner in planning, implementing, leading, and supporting strategic initiatives.
The Business Office is comprised of four offices:
The Accounting Office, led by the controller, Althea Harewood, maintains the financial integrity of the Graduate Center and Related Entities. The Accounting office oversees all Accounts Payable, Travel and Expense reimbursements, reconciliations, analyses, banking, and reporting for all activities except those handled through the Bursar Office.
The Accounting Office oversees all accounting activities related to: Adult Continuing Education (ACE); Graduate Center Foundation; Doctoral and Graduate Students’ Council (DGSC); Child and Early Learning Center; The Graduate Center General Fund (formerly known as: CUNY Endowment Investment Pool/Business Office Account/QChart/Miscellaneous Expenses).
The Budget Office, led by Budget Director Finney Joshua, plans and allocates financial and physical resources and provides analysis to enhance Graduate Center decision-making, planning, and policy formation.
The Bursar’s Office, led by Finance Director/Bursar Dharvendra Kanhai, is responsible for processing and recording student tuition and fee payments, issuing refunds, distribution of fellowship checks, and the disbursement of employee paychecks.
The Purchasing (Procurement) Office, led by Purchasing Director Ronald Paynter, assists various Graduate Center departments in efficiently securing goods and services.
Get The Help You’re Looking For
Our resource hub — which contains key policies, forms, and instructions — empowers the Graduate Center community to make sound and efficient use of the GC’s institutional financial resources.Browse the resource hub
Enhancing Our Financial Transparency
The Business Office is committed to transparency in the compilation, consolidation, and review of plans and budgets. This ensures that academic and administrative leaders across the Graduate Center can play an active, collaborative role in the strategic decision-making process.See Financial Reports
Hours of Operation
The Business Office is currently operating under a Hybrid model - staff are physically in the office 70% and remote 30%.
- Monday - Thursday: in-person 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. enter through room 8107
- Friday: remote service 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
For Inquiries or Help with any issues, please contact:
- Academic Programs question on budget allocation: Steven Wong in the Provost Office
- Setting up a vendor in CUNYBuy: Deborah Molina or Ron Paynter
- Help with invoice, reimbursement requests, or payment requests: Angella Bowley. If you do not hear from Angella within 48 hours, please contact Althea Harewood.
- - Purchasing questions: Maurice Wynter or Ron Paynter.
After taking these steps, if you have not received any responses within 4 business days, please reach out to Kenneth Tirino.