Blog Contributor Guidelines
What we are/do
The Thought Project Medium blog will provide an opportunity for Graduate Center students, postdocs, administrators and faculty to:
- Write and publish opinion pieces, essays and Q&As that comment on newsworthy issues, events and cultural topics
- Highlight how their scholarship and expertise add to the general public’s awareness, understanding and ability to take action on these matters
- Speak to lay audiences
How to become a contributor
There are three ways to become a contributor to The Thought Project blog:
- Send a pitch of your idea for consideration to the editors at TheThoughtProject@gc.cuny.edu
- Accept an invitation from the editors to become a contributor
- If you have been featured on The Thought Project podcast, the editors may opt to have previously unpublished portions of your interview published as a Q&A
Blog submission guidelines
- Opinion pieces and essays should be 500-850 words in length and should be connected to newsworthy issues, events and cultural topics.
- Submissions should highlight scholarship and expertise that adds to the general public’s awareness, understanding and ability to take action on a matter.
- Blog pieces can be co-authored, but at least one author must have a Graduate Center affiliation.
- The Thought Project staff can provide guidance and support on shaping the blog, and we will edit it in partnership with the contributor.
- Contributors have 15 working days from commitment to/acceptance of their piece to submit a first draft.
- The editorial style guidelines for The Thought Project blog will adhere to the editorial style guide used by The Graduate Center Communications & Marketing Department.
- To participate, a contributor must establish a Medium account, enabling the editors to transfer the blog to the Graduate Center’s Medium page.
- If you’re already blogging on Medium, the editors are open to considering your blogs for publication on the Thought Project blog
Directions for setting up Medium account, profile and posting a blog
- First go Medium to sign up if you don’t have an account. You can find written directions or a video tutorial.
- After setting up your account, go to the Medium profile page directions and follow directions for creating your profile.
- When you’re ready to post your first blog, you can find written directions or go back for the video tutorial.