New User Orientation
New users can find relevant information regarding their IT needs at the Graduate Center below.
You can also download the New User Orientation (PDF).
Areas of Assistance
- New users are assigned a Network Account with username and password
- Usernames consist of first name initial and full last name, e.g. jdoe
- Common usernames have a number added, e.g. jode2
- Go to the appropriate Information For page (Students, Staff, Faculty)
- Click on Self-Service Password Reset
- Enter Employee ID Number, Month of Birth, Year of Birth and complete your Personal Email Address
- An email will be sent to the alternate email address that is in CUNYfirst with a code (this code will expire in 15 minutes after it was sent)
- Enter the Verification Code to confirm your identity on the Password reset page
- Enter New Password and Confirm the new password
- Click Submit to change your password
- Account usernames are assigned:
- To students, automatically upon registration
- To faculty & staff, by completing the Employee Network Account Request Form
- Initial password and e-mail address for students:
- Once the account has been configured, an e-mail containing the network and e-mail account information will be sent to the applicant’s e-mail address that they provided on their application.
- Initial password and e-mail address for faculty/staff:
- The staff member who submitted the request for the account will receive an e-mail containing the account information. It is the responsibility of the initial requestor to provide the information to the faculty/staff member.
- Select a new password that conforms to the following:
- 8 to 15 characters
- at least one upper case letter
- at least one lower case letter
- at least one number or special character
- Password should not contain any part of your user name
- Password cannot be the same as the last three passwords used
- GC network account passwords expire every 180 days
The Graduate Center provides the following email accounts:
- Central faculty and staff receive a GC Email Account
- (e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Students receive an Office 365 Email Account
- (e.g. email@example.com)
- •Non-central faculty receive a GC email address that points to their home institution email box
Faculty and Staff Email Accounts
- The GC email address is: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Email quota is 10GB
- To access, open Outlook on any GC computer
- To check email remotely, use Outlook Web Access (OWA)
Student Email Accounts
- Students receive an Office 365 lifetime email account
- The Office 365 email address is: email@example.com
- Email quota is 50GB
- To access, go to https://portal.office.com
Manage Student Email Password
Before students can use the Office 365 Self-Service Password Reset tool, registration is required at http://aka.ms/ssprsetup.
- Use Office 365 credentials to sign-in. A window appears, instructing users to provide and verify either mobile number, alternate email address, or both.
- Configure a mobile phone number by clicking “Set it up now” next to “Authentication Phone is not configured.”
- Enter the desired contact phone number and choose to receive texts or calls. A confirmation text will be sent to the contact phone number. Enter the verification code in the box and click Verify.
- Configure authentication email by clicking “Set it up now” next to “Authentication Email is not configured.”
- Enter the desired external contact email address (don’t use GC or Gradcenter email address). Click “email me.” A message containing a verification code will be sent to the desired contact email address.
- Enter the verification code received in the email. Click Verify.
Once authentication methods are configured, click Finish.
After registering an account with Office 365, go to https://passwordreset.microsoftonline.com to reset the Office 365 password.
- Enter user ID
- Enter the verification characters in the box provided
- Click Next
- Select the desired contact method to obtain a verification code
- Enter the verification code
- Proceed to the next verification step
- Choose a new password
- Computers for student use are located throughout the Library and in student areas throughout the building
- Available computers:
- Dell desktops running Windows 10
- Apple Macs running High Sierra
- Available computers:
Printers are available for students in the library and student areas
•Printer release stations are in the library
•Printers are available for staff in the program and administrative offices
- There are two wireless networks at the Graduate Center:
- the GCcommunity wireless is the secured and encrypted preferred network for GC network account holders
- the GCguest wireless network is unsecured and unencrypted
IT Services should be your first point of contact for technical assistance.
Contact us by emailing ITServices@gc.cuny.edu or by:
- Clicking on IT Services Self-Service
The self-service portal will allow you to request assistance from IT via a simple web form.
Emergency calls are received at 212-817-7300 during:
- Fall and Spring, 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday to Friday
- Summer, 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday to Thursday
The CUNYFirst Login connects students, faculty and staff with various informational materials, resources, amenities, benefits and special discounts. To visit:
- Website services is a platform that allows easy creation of websites for a variety of purposes including conference and group sites, CVs and personal sites, and general interest blogs.
- Go to Information For pages (Students, Faculty, Staff), click Website Services.
Explore the GC IT website (it.gc.cuny.edu) for more information about IT resources.
IT Frequently Asked Questions provide information on a variety of IT topics and resources.
IT Policies and Procedures are guidelines specific to hardware and software resources provided to the GC Community.