Counseling, Questions and Support

International student counselors in the Office of International Students are available to consult with students on questions regarding any aspect of the immigration regulations or their stay in the United States, including:

  • obtaining a Certificate of Eligibility (Form I-20 for F-1 status or Form DS-2019 for J-1 status) — see right-hand column on this page;
  • on-campus employment regulations and procedures;
  • off-campus employment authorization procedures and limitations (see “Employment” below);
  • travel outside the United States and reentry;
  • inviting a spouse or dependent children to the United States;
  • extension of legal stay in the United States;
  • passport and visa information;
  • transfer to another school;
  • change of status to or from F-1 or J-1;
  • discontinuing studies (i.e., leave of absence, withdrawal from the program, or termination of studies) at The Graduate Center.

You should keep copies of all documents relating to your immigration status and bring your original passport, Admission Record I-94, and current Form I-20 or DS-2019 whenever contacting this office.

For one-on-one counseling and support

Contact us to make an appointment with a counselor:

Other Contacts and Offices

The following offices at the Graduate Center can answer your questions regarding GC admissions, financial aid, academic policies, and more.

Please note that questions regarding degree requirements for your academic program of interest should be directed to the program Executive Officer. Find your program here

For questions regarding academic admission

For questions regarding fellowships or financial aid

For questions regarding academic policies and procedures