The Ph.D. Program in Latin American, Iberian, and Latino Cultures is here to support its students and help encourage their professional development. Please find resources below to explore.
Program policies and requirements can be found in LAILAC's Program Handbook.
All doctoral students are encouraged to join professional organizations such as:
- Asociación Internacional de Hispanistas (AIH)
- Insituto Internacional de Literatura Iberoamericana (IILI)
- Latin American Studies Association
- Brazilian Studies Association
- Asociación Internacional de Teatro Español y Novohispano de los Siglos de Oro (AITENSO)
- The Cervantes Society of America
- Instituto Cervantes
- Center for Latin American, Caribbean and Latino Studies
- Doctoral and Graduate Students' Council
- Professional Staff Congress
The Graduate Center Offers a variety of financial awards, scholarships, grants, and employment opportunities to help current doctoral students finance their education and research.
Learn more about funding opportunities for current doctoral students »
In addition to the vast holdings in Spanish, Portuguese, and Latin American literatures maintained in the libraries of the CUNY colleges and The Graduate Center, students have access to the collections of various public and private institutions dedicated to Iberian and Latin American studies. The New York Public Library, located nearby, has one of the finest Hispanic collections in the world. Students also have access to the extraordinary collections of the Hispanic Society of America.
- Cervantes - Official journal of the Cervantes Society of America
- CiberLetras - Journal of literary criticism and culture
- Dieciocho - Eighteenth-century studies in Spain and Latin America
- Espéculo - Electronic journal of literary studies
- Enclave - Journal dedicated to sharing the work of Spanish literary work from CUNY and New York.
- Hispanista - Primera revista electrónica de los hispanistas de Brazil.
- Laberinto - Spanish and Spanish-American texts from the early modern period, 1450-1750
- Lemir - Journal dedicated to Spanish Medieval and Renaissance Literature
- LLJournal - Journal of the Students of The Ph.D. Program in Hispanic & Luso-Brazilian Literatures and Languages, The Graduate Center
- Colonial Latin American Review - Interdisciplinary Journal founded in 1992 at The City College, CUNY, to study the colonial period; publishes in Spanish, Portuguese and English.
- Diccionario de la Real Academia Española
- Dicionário da Língua Portuguesa On-line
- Translation Software Online. Although still in the early stages, translation software on the web can be helpful in getting the "gist" of text in a foreign language. However, caution should be used with these tools. Our tests produced some rather amusing results, such as "calzoncillos de noticias" for "newsbriefs!"
- Search Engines
- Inlibris - El Directorio Literario
- Motores de búsqueda en español
- Search Engines and Directories in Spain
- Search Engines, Directories and Lists of Portugal
- Search Engines, Directories and Lists of Spain
- Alfonso X "el Sabio" - Cantigas a Santa María
- Folías, zarabandas, gallardas y canarios. Apuntes sobre la danza y el baile en la España del Siglo de Oro
- Llibre Vermell de Montserrat
- Martín Códax - Cantigas de amigo
- Midi / MP3 Libraries:
- Biblioteca Virtual "Miguel de Cervantes" - Vast collection of electronic texts from many literary periods.
- Centro de Estudios Cervantinos. Obras de Miguel de Cervantes - Complete Works in electronic texts
- Comedia - Golden Age comedias in electronic text
- Como escribir y presentar su tesis o disertación - Guide to the many aspects of crafting, implementing and defending a thesis or dissertation.
- Iberolenguas - Foro lingüístico iberoamericano
- Internet para hispanistas - Recopilación de recursos en internet para el hispanista
- La vida y la obra de Jorge Luis Borges - Extensive Argentine site on writer Jorge Luis Borges maintained by Martin Hadis.
- Letras Hispanas - Excellent Source for additional Spanish resource links
- Library of Iberian Resources Online - Collection focusing upon peninsular history from the fifth to the seventeenth centuries.
- Literature in Latin America - LANIC - Link collection of resources for Latin American Literature
- Luso-Brazilian Literature and Culture - Extensive collection of links to resources in many areas of Luso-Brazilian studies
- Medieval Iberia - Extensive resources for medieval Iberian studies
- Proyecto Cervantes 2001 - Comprehensive reference and research site dedicated to the study of Cervantes' works and life.
- Proyecto Ensayo Hispánico - Collaborative effort to disseminate Hispanic thought and essay. With electronic texts.
- Proyecto Filosofía en Español - Philosophical texts in Spanish by such authors as Antonio de Guevara and Benito Jerónimo Feijoo.
- Proyecto Vercial - Portuguese literature database
- Recomendaciones para la preparación de propuestas de tesis - Helpful suggestions for preparing a thesis proposal
- Las sátiras de Quevedo y su recepción - Antología crítica
- Textos LEMIR - Spanish Medieval and Renaissance texts.
- Academic360.com - Meta collection of Internet resources gathered for academic job hunters.
- Academic Position Network - Search the APN database for hundreds of positions from around the world.
- Chronicle of Higher Education - Career Network
- CUNY Job Openings - Job postings of available positions throughout the City University of New York.
- HigherEdJobs.com - One of the largest job databases focused exclusively on College and University positions.
General Student Resources
Information and Downloads
Review the following useful Graduate Center resources: